Forum
Your purchase of a synthetic or cotton shirt helps support 14ers.com. Thank you!

Other ways to help...

RMNP moved the Longs Peak webcam

Colorado 14er peak questions, condition requests and other info. 14er Trip Reports, Condition Reports

RMNP moved the Longs Peak webcam

Postby dpage » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:17 am

You can find the link for the cam towards the bottom of the page.I think I kind of like this view better.
http://www.nps.gov/romo/photosmultimedia/webcams.htm

Re: RMNP moved the Longs Peak webcam

Postby Dave B » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:31 pm

Wow! What an improvement!

Thanks for the heads up!

Although I'm thinking their thermometer might need some calibrating. Or is is really that warm in Estes Today?

The mountains - whose summits reach or exceed arbitrary thresholds for elevation and prominence - are calling and I must go.

-John Muir

Postby SilverLynx » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:42 pm

I'm in love. :iluvu:
"Mountains seem to answer an increasing imaginative need in the West. More and more people are discovering a desire for them, and a powerful solace in them. At bottom, mountains, like all wildernesses, challenge our complacent conviction - so easy to lapse into - that the world has been made for humans by humans. Most of us exist for most of the time in worlds which are humanly arranged, themed and controlled. One forgets that there are environments which do not respond to the flick of a switch or the twist of a dial, and which have their own rhythms and orders of existence. Mountains correct this amnesia. By speaking of greater forces than we can possibly invoke, and by confronting us with greater spans of time than we can possibly envisage, mountains refute our excessive trust in the man-made. They pose profound questions about our durability and the importance of our schemes. They induce, I suppose, a modesty in us."
― Robert Macfarlane

Postby ChrisRoberts » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:20 am

Holy crap! Thats a huge improvement over the lame one they had
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
Latest TR: Bald Mountains and Laramie Mtns. HP

Postby bking14ers » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:31 am

Love the new camera placement! I know jusy where they put it. Some land in the viewing area was for sale a few years ago. I would've gave my left nut for it. Every time I log onto the computer I always look at the Longs Peak, and Glacier Basin web-cams. Very seldom they don't work. Often snow coverd though. Yes the temp. is obviously very wrong on occasion. I've seen -50 below to +143deg. before.

Postby Bean » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:02 am

Dave B wrote:Although I'm thinking their thermometer might need some calibrating. Or is is really that warm in Estes Today?

It is. Love the new view.

Postby Dave B » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:22 am

Bean wrote:
Dave B wrote:Although I'm thinking their thermometer might need some calibrating. Or is is really that warm in Estes Today?

Interesting. The image I'd linked to read over 56 degrees yesterday when I posted that. I guess it must update automatically.
The mountains - whose summits reach or exceed arbitrary thresholds for elevation and prominence - are calling and I must go.

-John Muir

Postby herdbull » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:39 am

Dave B wrote:
Bean wrote:

Interesting. The image I'd linked to read over 56 degrees yesterday when I posted that. I guess it must update automatically.

by gosh it does appear to be updating automatically. Hmmmmm :-k wonder how a guy could make that his desktop background?

Postby ChrisRoberts » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:38 pm

herdbull wrote:
by gosh it does appear to be updating automatically. Hmmmmm :-k wonder how a guy could make that his desktop background?

Right click on the image, it should give you that option
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
Latest TR: Bald Mountains and Laramie Mtns. HP