Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Denver Happy Hour (January)

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Re: Denver Happy Hour (January)

Postby Scotzman » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:35 pm

wildlobo71 wrote:
Scotzman wrote:Anyone know by chance how big the parking lot is, as in a pretty certain chance there will be a spot in it? Orrrr, anyone driving south that is passing Westminster/Arvada way?

I'm not afraid of any bearded men, btw. :twisted:

It's not large, perhaps 30-40 cars total... it will probably be full. Street parking in the neighborhood to the west is the easiest.

hmmm, well I am trying to dodge the meter maids; I just realized yesterday that I didn't pay my ticket from the last happy hour #-o
Scotzman
Every man dies, not every man really lives.
What we do in life echoes in eternity.

Postby ameristrat » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:20 pm

Best place we've had Happy Hour - if you didn't go bowling, you missed out! Thanks for organizing, Jeff!
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal

Postby Scotzman » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:52 am

Aye, great time as usual! Thanks for setting this up, and it was great meeting some new people! :)
Scotzman
Every man dies, not every man really lives.
What we do in life echoes in eternity.

Postby jmc5040 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:48 am

ameristrat wrote:Best place we've had Happy Hour - if you didn't go bowling, you missed out! Thanks for organizing, Jeff!

I second that on the venue, definitely a cool place. I think I drank a far share of punch, but it was damn good.
"My senses become heightened and the stresses of life fade with each step I take further from civilization. When I'm in the wilderness my brain and body work seamlessly together to do their finest work - a single flowing track down one of natures high peaks." - Jeremy Jones

Postby SurfNTurf » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:00 am

Glad to hear you guys liked the venue. I was wondering how this crowd would respond to a non-brewery (mostly because we're running out of breweries, haha). Not sure where we'll have it next month yet, but rest assured I'll strong-arm Mandy into a good spot.

p.s. my boots aren't broken in yet
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Postby MonGoose » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:04 am

I had a great time last night and I agree that this was the by far the best venue we've had. I hope we can return to the Punch Bowl at some point in the future.

Thanks to everyone who joined in for some bowling. WildLobo, next time I'll take you up on a game of darts.

Postby wildlobo71 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:33 am

Punch Bowl was a great venue - a nice change up from a beer hall atmosphere; glad to see a few of the hipsters made it out - well, I think I counted one. Carl looked way too serious at playing pool; it was intimidating. Nick, Kara and George, good game of 10-pin! Jeff, love the boots but perhaps they could be a bit more yellow - and Otina, what moves! Pretty sick for a white chick!
Bill W.
Yes, I have my Scotch.

Postby George James » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:45 am

Super fun spot for a big group.

Much enjoyed seeing all you beautiful people for the first time this year. Ski ya again soon
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack
~ The Baron Von Bergschrund

Postby Carl » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:05 am

Thanks for buying the pool table for the night George. Good to hear Bill was intimidated by my pool demeanor. Got to make up for the lack of skill somehow.

Postby bergsteigen » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:10 am

wildlobo71 wrote: Otina, what moves! Pretty sick for a white chick!

Well, a gals gotta have a few secrets :wink: I was called the International Woman of Mystery in college for a reason :lol:

Fun night and a unique location!
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games."
- Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)

http://otinasadventures.com

Postby aliciaf » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:11 pm

Good times! That place was awesome. I wish I could stay longer and actually drink more (I do surprisingly get fairly chatty when I've had a few :wink: ) but I'm a baby and need my sleep before a 10 hour day of work. It was great meeting a few new people!

Previous