Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Trail shoe recommendation

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Trail shoe recommendation

Postby SouthernFried » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:19 am

Looking to get some new trail shoes....

I found a good deal on some TNF Havoc GTX trail shoes. Any have experience with these? I've also been looking at the Solomon GTX shoes as well. Reviews on the Havoc's sounds pretty good.

I'm looking for something that is light, good toe box and ridgid to a degree...don't want to feel every rock and tree root I step on. I mainly hike in the SE US so something that is waterproof is a must (it's kind of wet down here). Mainly hike on well established trail...no scree slopes for me!

Thanks for the help!

Re: Trail shoe recommendation

Postby Kent McLemore » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:03 am

I've become very fond of the Patagonia Drifter. I have the AC version, but it comes in Goretex too. Low cut, large toe box, relatively light, but with a firm, stiff sole. Perfect for the Ozark Mountains but they are now also my "go to's" for Colorado backpacks and scrambles.
"Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." - John Muir

Postby Monster5 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:44 am

Solomons and TNF are both decent established trail shoes. Both have a good general fit and fine trail functionality. Preference should go to how they fit your foot. Solomons tend to be slightly more rigid and functional while TNF has more comfortable shoes with softer, weaker rubber (more of a benefit on trail).

Personally, I think Solomon trail runners are undependable, overpriced crap, but they aren't marketed to a scrambling or talus perspective. Likewise, I'd shred TNF shoes pretty quickly. Sportivas are much better for off-trail, though just as expensive. Montrails aren't quite as durable or sticky, but I think I might switch over to them as they're more reasonably priced and comfortable. The Inov8s look interesting, but I haven't had a chance to try them. I've been using Salewas purchased from SAC for the latter half of the summer and like them on scrambles, though they are stiff and not very comfortable on trail.

Try them on and plug them in to spadout or something to see what kind of deals are available.
"Mountains are the means, the man is the end. The goal is not to reach the tops of mountains, but to improve the man." - Walter Bonatti

Postby colokeith » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:41 pm

I use the brooks adrenaline gtx and I am very happy!! I have no experience with the shoes you mentioned.

I would highly suggest getting fitted at a running store, the right shoe for you is not necessarily the same as the right shoe for me! Boulder Running company will do this for free
To climb is to push yourself in a way you might not normally imagine is possible. If your stamina, skill, and luck are sound you will get to stand on top. ... I realized that with climbing, I'd found something that nourished my soul and could forge me into a better version myself - Jim Davidson

Postby winmag4582001 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:04 pm

I have TNF Havoc GTX shoes and wearing them right now. One of the best pair of shoes I've owned.
http://www.backcountry.com/the-north-face-havoc-gtx-xcr-shoe-mens
I can send you a picture of mine if you'd like to see how the outside and soles are wearing on them...
"Remember, you're unique, just like everybody else."-Joel Bernardini

Postby SouthernFried » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:27 pm

winmag4582001 wrote:I have TNF Havoc GTX shoes and wearing them right now. One of the best pair of shoes I've owned.
I can send you a picture of mine if you'd like to see how the outside and soles are wearing on them...

Question for you...how's the flex of the shoe? Do they bend like a running shoe or are they more ridgid like a hiking boot?

If you don't mind sharing a picture, I would love to see how they wear.

Postby dwemp6 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:58 pm

I have never used the TNF Havoc GTX, but I did buy a pair of TNF Hedgehog III last March. After climbing four 14ers and a seven-day camping trip with them, the shoes began to fall apart. The Vibram sole was tearing away from the seams. Of course after this I was told, by some one on this site, that TNF shoes are notorious for their durability. Luckily I was able to return them Sierra Trading Post for full refund.

I recently bought some approach shoes. And although I have not used them on the trail, they are very comfortable and, from what I can tell, much more durable.

Postby winmag4582001 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:39 pm

SouthernFried wrote:
winmag4582001 wrote:I have TNF Havoc GTX shoes and wearing them right now. One of the best pair of shoes I've owned.

Question for you...how's the flex of the shoe? Do they bend like a running shoe or are they more ridgid like a hiking boot?

If you don't mind sharing a picture, I would love to see how they wear.

They are more solid than a running shoe. It would be closely associated with a "hiker" for stiffness.
Best advice on footwear is to try stuff on with the socks you plan on using! It's also a great idea to go somewhere like GoodFeet and have them size you. I see alot of people wearing shoes that are at least a size too big. That is hard on shoes and feet both. The only thing I go up a half size on are mountaineering and some backpacking boots because I use thicker socks with those and dont want to restrict any blood flow to my feet.
Attachments
IMG_1971 (1024x768).jpg
IMG_1971 (1024x768).jpg (221.78 KiB) Viewed 446 times
IMG_1970 (1024x768).jpg
IMG_1970 (1024x768).jpg (225.81 KiB) Viewed 446 times
IMG_1969 (1024x768).jpg
IMG_1969 (1024x768).jpg (199.95 KiB) Viewed 446 times
"Remember, you're unique, just like everybody else."-Joel Bernardini

Postby Dex » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:47 pm

SouthernFried wrote:Looking to get some new trail shoes....

I found a good deal on some TNF Havoc GTX trail shoes. Any have experience with these? I've also been looking at the Solomon GTX shoes as well. Reviews on the Havoc's sounds pretty good.

I'm looking for something that is light, good toe box and ridgid to a degree...don't want to feel every rock and tree root I step on. I mainly hike in the SE US so something that is waterproof is a must (it's kind of wet down here). Mainly hike on well established trail...no scree slopes for me!

Thanks for the help!

I have these and like them. I'm not sure if they are considered trail running shoes.
http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3651168
You can get them on sale - they come with a cold weather insert and regular

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=33355&hilit=+bootmance
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby Corn » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:42 pm

I have had a three pairs of Salomon XA Pro 3D Ultra GTX and GTX 2's over the last 6+ years. On trails and pavement you would be hard pressed to find a better wearing more comfortable shoe. That being said during, the last five months I have completed 8 14ers with a newly purchased Salomon XA Pro 3D Ultra 2's and the soles are shredded! They are a trail running shoe and i just might be asking to much from them chasing peaks.

Postby nicholasblee » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:43 pm

I wear te Vasque Mindbenders. They're a little on the heavy side (for running) but I've worn them for the Leadville Marathon, 100, etc... They provide good support and are super durable.

http://www.vasque.com/mens-trail-running-shoes

Postby MountainMedic » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:05 pm

La Sportiva Boulder X's seem to fit the bill perfectly. Tough with leather and a big, guarded toe box, waterproof (or at least highly water resistant), and semi-rigid with great traction (they're approach shoes). I love mine. Price is reasonable too, I think $110 at REI.

EDIT: I have narrow feet and wear LS for pretty much everything.
Last edited by MountainMedic on Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Next