Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Climbing skins for 14ers?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: Climbing skins for 14ers?

Postby Dave B » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:55 am

FWIW, the G3 tool can be found for just $3.95.
"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

Postby lordhelmut » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:20 am

mtnfiend wrote:
lordhelmut wrote:Aside from a nice tutorial on how to dry skins on a hut trip, whats most important in this picture are the 3 cans of Pringles in the foreground (with hopefully a few more out of view). Nice choice in skins and snacks.

Yeah, but BBQ and sour cream and onion? Come on....where's the original?!?!

Has anyone tried the new BD ascension skins?

Rick - There is more to life than Regular Pringles. I know your an engineer and all, but think outside the box a little bit. With that being said, Roan, swap those BBQ's for some SaltnV's or Ranch and you'll be sittin pretty. They need to bring back the spicy Guac at some point......

Postby GregMiller » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:26 pm

Also, anyone have any old beat up otherwise useless climbing skins they'd be willing to donate to a good cause? I'm also looking to mod a pair of snowblades to use for skinning up and skiing down hardpack, and would like to try with some throwaway skins before I put any money into it.

Edited for clarity - this is a side project to the main event of skins for skiing 14ers.
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes

Postby idrunk » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:40 pm

I use BD Ascensions and have had no problems with them. I bought an old used pair and cut them down to make kicker-stickers as well, which works great for long, flat approaches. If you want a project and have an old set of skins...

-Width should be about a 1/4" narrower than underfoot on each side (or cut them smaller: less skin, more glide)
-Length should go from tip to just under heel
-Depending on your ski tips, you can create your attachment with a little creativity. I have a groove in the tip of my Dynafit skis and used a small plastic washer and some elastic cord. If your skins have decent glue, this shouldn't be a problem.

I skinned up my local resort on these this morning, starting in -20* temperatures up some pretty steep terrain. Works like a charm. Wall-to-wall full length skins are great, but aren't necessary for full time use. Consider a kicker-sticker set up to save yourself some energy and gain the advantage on your skinning buddies.

Postby SolarAlex » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:57 pm

i use g3 skins on my splitboard and they work very well. they come with a handy tool for trimming your skins too which was nice. my buddy that skis uses the ski version and he thinks they are pretty good.

Postby CottonScout » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:38 pm

Anyone have any experience/opinions about the Gecko climbing skins? I haven't used them but saw them recently in my local shop.

Postby GregMiller » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:47 pm

CottonScout wrote:Anyone have any experience/opinions about the Gecko climbing skins? I haven't used them but saw them recently in my local shop.

Not personally, but Lou Dawson at Wildsnow had some issues with them, which is enough for me:
http://www.wildsnow.com/6281/gecko-skins-review/
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Langston Hughes

Postby RoanMtnMan » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:14 am

lordhelmut wrote:Rick - There is more to life than Regular Pringles. I know your an engineer and all, but think outside the box a little bit. With that being said, Roan, swap those BBQ's for some SaltnV's or Ranch and you'll be sittin pretty. They need to bring back the spicy Guac at some point......

Pringles are an underrated survival food. However I leave the flavor choices up to my wife. I am intrigued by the Seaweed flavor I found in Japan. Hard to locate in the states though. I can't seem to find a way to relate this back to climbing skins so I digress.

Go get some BD's and have fun farcedude. I have heard rumors that some backcountry rental shops have used BD skins left over at the end of the season. A few greenbacks and a six pack at the back door isn't a terrible strategy.

And pay attention to Lou on all things backcountry skiing. Though I don't always agree with him, I know his process, heck I have been part of it, and one would be hard pressed to find someone more experienced, with a more organized testing regime, willing to share for free in the States. Despite what people have said, he stays as true and fair as anyone out there.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Postby Bean » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:26 am

RoanMtnMan wrote:Pringles are an underrated survival food... I can't seem to find a way to relate this back to climbing skins so I digress.

Pringles flavor dust seems like it could contaminate skin glue pretty bad.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby GregMiller » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:41 am

Ok, I'm going with the BD nylon skins. Now - how does one go about finding BD skins for wider (well-relatively, they're 129-95-121) skis at less-than-retail prices? I'm looking at 125 mm skins, for effectively wall-to-wall, unless someone can convince me otherwise. (and...GO!)
Still Here
Langston Hughes

Postby Carl » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:13 am

farcedude wrote:Also, anyone have any old beat up otherwise useless climbing skins they'd be willing to donate to a good cause? I'm also looking to mod a pair of snowblades to use for skinning up and skiing down hardpack, and would like to try with some throwaway skins before I put any money into it.

I had a similar idea for approaches on climbs that I was using soft mountaineering boots (La Sportiva Trango Extreme EVO) and not looking for a ski descent. Before mounting an old pair of Silvrettas on my snowblades I decided to try snowblading in my mountaineering boots. Carried everything to the top of Quandary and strapped in. Quickly realized I couldn't turn them. Might try again on a mellow slope, and sober, but I still don't think I wouldn't have enough control to be comfortable on them. If you're planning to use the snowblades with hard boots or you've got stronger snowblade skills maybe you'll have better luck.

As for the skis and skins, if the dimensions are 129-95-121 I wouldn't worry about finding a skin wider than 110 or 115 at the most. Will be cheaper and easier to find on sale at that width than 125mm.

Postby RoanMtnMan » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:00 pm

GEARX.com had some BD skin blems on sale not too long ago.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

PreviousNext