Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Climbing skins for 14ers?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: Climbing skins for 14ers?

Postby Gueza » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:52 pm

BD Mohair.
Excellent glide and grip
Look at every setback, failure, and time you feel down in your life as a temporary, fixable condition. That is how you never give up and keep moving onwards.

"Never Stop" - AJS

"Be kind, Take care of yourself, and Work Hard" -Steve Gladbach

https://www.youtube.com/user/14erskier

Postby Bean » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:06 pm

RoanMtnMan wrote:The DWR treatment that K2 uses decreases glide and seems to promote icing. The design is brand specific and though fancy, doesn't save application time and in fact, there is a terrible issue with snow getting under the tip of the skin due to the single connection point. This happens after more than a few trips as the glue begins to degrade. The glue is of different or lower quality than the BD and G3 skins. If you get a 100 days out of yours please post as it will be the first report I have heard. Everyone else seems to start carrying more duct tape and doing a lot of swearing after the first 20 days.

Good to know. I will start tracking their use, carrying more duct tape, and report back. 100 days for me on these skis would take a few years of use but I'll start putting them through the wringer now so I don't need duct tape and swears in more critical situations.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby RoanMtnMan » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:19 pm

Bean wrote:Good to know. I will start tracking their use, carrying more duct tape, and report back. 100 days for me on these skis would take a few years of use but I'll start putting them through the wringer now so I don't need duct tape and swears in more critical situations.

It will be interesting to see what you have to say after your vetting, but this has been my take. The G3's, with the high tip double attachment, seem to be the best out there. BD has the best glue. I would be surprised if K2 doesn't change their glue and design in future iterations. I think they were trying to jump on board of the backcountry movement faster than their R&D could properly develop. However I suspect they will end up getting it right soon given the funding. The K2 system reminds me of the Volkl attempt, back in the early 2000's, to bridge the same gap. I have a couple of those skis and skins in my garage that I still shake my head at. However they do function, just not as well as newer releases.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Postby Dave B » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:55 pm

Bean wrote:Get your hands on one of the G3 skin-cutting tools.

+1 x 10^25

The little envelope opener that BD supplies with their skins is a joke. My skins look like they were trimmed by a drunk vertigo sufferer with one eye open.
"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

Postby mtn_nut » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:23 pm

I use guidelite mohair mix skins. Also, i have a G3 skin trimming tool and im happy to lend it out to anyone who wants to borrow it in the denver area. hell if you bring over a 6 pack, i'll trim your skins and show you how to do it on your own, although its pretty easy to do.

Not skin related, but i also have intuition-branded toe caps for molding your own boots at home. they are also available to be lent out if needed.

Postby GerryRigged » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:33 pm

I have BD Ascensions and have abused them unmercifully. They have held up to the abuse very well. I just bought another pair at Wilderness Exchange for $119 plus tax. To trim them I cut them to length per instructions and them put them on the ski. I then trace the outline of the ski on the glue side of the skin with a sharpie. I remove the skin and cut inside the line by about an eigth of an inch ~ 2mm. Use a stout pair of scisors.

Postby RoanMtnMan » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:40 pm

With all the opinions I have stated, here is a photo of the skin drying at a recent backcountry hut trip with many experienced folks. Notice a theme? BD Ascensions. The most popular skins in North America. Consumers speak with their wallets I suppose.

Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

Postby GregMiller » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:09 am

RoanMtnMan wrote:With all the opinions I have stated, here is a photo of the skin drying at a recent backcountry hut trip with many experienced folks. Notice a theme? BD Ascensions. The most popular skins in North America. Consumers speak with their wallets I suppose.

Nice! I pretty sure that's what I've decided on, just hoping I can find them a little cheaper. I'll certainly give Wilderness Exchange a look, and see if I can't find them cheaper there.

Bean wrote:Get your hands on one of the G3 skin-cutting tools.

Actually asked for one at Bent Gate, and the guy at the shop dug a (lightly) used one out of a box and handed it to me, so score! And thanks for the tip. Probably helped that I'd just dropped off my skis to get new bindings put on them.
I did the trim on the last set of skins I had using the BD trim tool, and while they turned out all right, I was super nervous the whole time, and I think I'll have a lot more peace of mind with the G3 tool (plus, it will be nice to have more edge showing for sidehilling).
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes

Postby RoanMtnMan » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:00 am

G3 cutter all the way, they could sell them independent of the skins if they wanted, shhhh. 5 pairs of skins is the limit per cutter though, they obviously dull quickly and can't be sharpened.

You should shop for the BD's and the G3's to find the best deal, the difference is really splitting hairs, but for the same price I would get the G3's to accommodate your described needs. Best of luck.

Postby climbingaggie03 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:43 am

farcedude wrote:Thanks for all the info so far! Definitely helps.

Also, anyone have any experience with skins from climbingskinsdirect.com ? Apparently they don't use DWR on their skins, but rather rely on you waxing them. Anyone have any experience waxing skins, and is it anything at all like applying wax to skis?

I have a pair of skins from climbingskinsdirect.com and I love them! I got them last season and have probably put 15 or 20 days on them. They grip really well and the attachment options are great! I have twin tip skis so I went with the twin tip attachment system, even if my glue completely fails, my skins will stay on.

The wax that comes with the skis is in a little block and you just rub it in, it's not nearly involved as waxing skis, I rub my wax on them like twice a season. I haven't noticed my skins getting any wetter than any other skins. The company is owned and run by one of the developers of the original black diamond purple skins and I believe the skins are very similar if not identical. Mohair glides a little better, but the grip of the skins is excellent.

I love my skins from CSD and I recommend them to everyone I can. I even pay retail for them.

Postby lordhelmut » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:54 am

RoanMtnMan wrote:With all the opinions I have stated, here is a photo of the skin drying at a recent backcountry hut trip with many experienced folks. Notice a theme? BD Ascensions. The most popular skins in North America. Consumers speak with their wallets I suppose.

Aside from a nice tutorial on how to dry skins on a hut trip, whats most important in this picture are the 3 cans of Pringles in the foreground (with hopefully a few more out of view). Nice choice in skins and snacks.

Postby mtnfiend » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:11 am

lordhelmut wrote:Aside from a nice tutorial on how to dry skins on a hut trip, whats most important in this picture are the 3 cans of Pringles in the foreground (with hopefully a few more out of view). Nice choice in skins and snacks.

Yeah, but BBQ and sour cream and onion? Come on....where's the original?!?!

Has anyone tried the new BD ascension skins?
Didn't I ever tell you.....Bumble's bounce!!!

PreviousNext