Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Humboldt Peak Conditions

Colorado 14er peak questions and conditions should be posted here. 14er Trip Reports

Re: Humboldt Peak Conditions

Postby ameristrat » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:38 pm

Be safe guys and have fun!
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal

Postby Yikes » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:05 am

conditions are good. no avy danger. trench to treeline. snowshoes/axe not needed.

Postby B-Dog » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:46 pm

I was up there today with Dan and Mark. Sorry I couldn't make yesterdays trip, I had prior plans. Thanks for posting the info; it saved us from hauling up a few lbs of unnecessary stuff.

One more snowflake checkmark! Chyeaa

Brandon

Postby SilverLynx » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:59 pm

B-Dog wrote:I was up there today with Dan and Mark. Sorry I couldn't make yesterdays trip, I had prior plans. Thanks for posting the info; it saved us from hauling up a few lbs of unnecessary stuff.

One more snowflake checkmark! Chyeaa

Brandon

Glad to know you made the summit. Nice work! 8)
"Find out who you are and be that person. That's what your soul was put on this Earth to be. Find that truth, live that truth and everything else will come."
~Ellen DeGeneres

"The only journey is the one within."
~Rainer Maria Rilke

Postby snowymountainsrock » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:10 am

Thank you for all of your input. It has been very helpful.
One more question. How long did the hike take?
Thanks

Postby B-Dog » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:21 am

I was probably the slow one in my group of 3 and it took us about 9 hours.

Postby snowymountainsrock » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:44 am

B-Dog wrote:I was probably the slow one in my group of 3 and it took us about 9 hours.

What time did you start or would recomend starting?

Postby B-Dog » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:38 pm

We started at 5:45. It was almost a full moon so walking up the road in the dark was a piece of cake. At a minimum, I would suggest being back down to tree line before dark which really shouldn't be a issue. Finding the non-existent trail back into the trees would be tricky in the dark. If it has snowed enough to cover the tracks or making finding the packed down trail difficult, you should probably shoot for being back to the summer trailhead before dark.

If you have a beastly 4wd and/or chains, you can probably make it up the road and save yourself 2+ miles.

Postby snowymountainsrock » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:50 pm

Alright.
Thanks

Postby coclimbguy79 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:07 am

Looks to be good weather again this weekend. I'd very much like to climb Humboldt as a day trip from the Denver area this weekend. Prefer Saturday, but would do sunday.

Postby TomPierce » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:55 pm

I plan to try for Humboldt this coming Sunday, the weather forecast looks really good. Another fellow may go but he hasn't confirmed; if he can't go I'm fine going alone but if you're interested coclimbguy79 (or others) let me know. I plan to hotel it in Westcliffe Saturday night, pre-dawn start Sunday; steady pace, not a speedster. Let me know, thanks.
-Tom

Previous