Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Down Coat

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: Down Coat

Postby ezabielski » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:53 am

Are you looking for a hiking jacket? Or skiing? I don't ski, but it seems like most down jackets wouldn't be the most useful in a lot of situations.

I love jackets, so here are my two cents.

For hiking, Montbell is going to win almost any contest. I have used the U.L. Down Parka (9.5oz, 800 fill, on sale on the MB website) on most 14ers I did in 2012, as well as backpacking in Spring, Summer and Fall, where it served as my insulating layer. I consider it about as warm as a fleece that weighs at least two times as much, like the MH Monkey Man. It's about the same price as the Bitterroot, but the Bitterroot is a much more bulky jacket as far as I have seen in person.

The (non-hooded) Golite Demaree (14oz, 800 fill, $99) is cool too. I bought one for my brother this year. It is like the U.L Down Parka, but doesn't use an ultralight fabric.

The Mountain Hardwear Kelvinator is simply not impressive to me, considering its price (about $185) and 650 down (See: Fill power). A 650 fill jacket is less warm for its weight, and does not compress as much as higher quality down, which is one of the main features of a down jacket! The Montbell jacket has 800 fill (Montbell also has the EX Light jacket, at 900 fill), the Bitterroot has 850. The most equivalent down jacket from MH is the Ghost Whisperer which is $300, has 850 fill, and an ultralight fabric like the Montbell and Golite jackets.

First Ascent also makes some cool stuff. Their ultralight hooded down jackets MicroTherm Down Hooded Jacket (12oz, 800 fill, on sale $119) and Downlight Hooded Jacket (14oz, 800 fill, on sale $119). I don't have either of these, but I do have the Peak XV jacket, and I am very impressed.
Last edited by ezabielski on Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby nyker » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:33 pm

Western Mountaineering also makes good down products:

A hooded jacket similar to the ones you're mentioning:
http://www.westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm?section=products&page=Down%20Garments&cat=Jackets%20and%20Vests&ContentId=76

Also, Patagonia makes a nice, lightweight down parker

http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/mens-fitz-roy-down-hoody?p=84580-0-961

Postby RoanMtnMan » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:20 pm

Why would you buy a classic down jacket to ski in resorts? Down jackets aren't really built to ski in resorts. Sharp poles, ski edges, lifts, tree limbs, safety gates, and other people will rip a down jacket to shreds. We have a closet full of many of the great jackets that were mentioned above but I wouldn't risk one of them at a resort.

This or similar is what you should be looking for as resort insulation. Synthetic, durable material, and features geared towards a day at the local resort. Also not too expensive. There really isn't a true lightweight down jacket that is built for both mountaineering and resort skiing as an outer layer. As an inner layer I wouldn't want down at a resort either, as it will make you sweat and then be rendered to a useless heavy wet layer.

http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/mens-rubicon-rider-jacket-for-snowboarding?p=29454-1-123
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Postby dwemp6 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:39 pm

Thanks so much. I do not intend on using it in the resorts. I intend to use it for around town and while hiking and back country climbs, if it gets really cold.

Thanks for all your advice, as usual this forum is a great help.

Postby RoanMtnMan » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:27 pm

dwemp6 wrote:Thanks so much. I do not intend on using it in the resorts. I intend to use it for around town and while hiking and back country climbs, if it gets really cold.

In that case, I do like my Kelvinator, which comes up dirt cheap on steepandcheap from time to time. The Patagonia Fitz Roy is my staple though, great from everything from a backcountry hut, to a winter 14er, to a walk through a mountain town to dinner. Good luck.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

Postby CorduroyCalves » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:48 pm

I used to have the MHW Subzero jacket. I had issues with the down moving between the baffles and brought it back and got the MHW Hunker Down jacket (http://www.rei.com/product/836335/mountain-hardwear-hunker-down-jacket-mens) and I like it ok. It doesn't have a stuff sack or more durable fabric on the upper arms and shoulders like the Subzero did, but I still like it. I probabaly would have gotten a Montbell but REI doesn't carry 'em and I had the merchandise credit to use for a down jacket so that's what I went with.
Life is too short to pay full retail for outdoor gear!

"God has cared for these trees, saved them from draught, disease, avalanches, and a thousand straining, leveling tempasts and floods; but he cannot save them from fools; only Uncle Sam can do that."--John Muir

Postby ezabielski » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:41 am

RoanMtnMan wrote:
dwemp6 wrote:Thanks so much. I do not intend on using it in the resorts. I intend to use it for around town and while hiking and back country climbs, if it gets really cold.

In that case, I do like my Kelvinator, which comes up dirt cheap on steepandcheap from time to time. The Patagonia Fitz Roy is my staple though, great from everything from a backcountry hut, to a winter 14er, to a walk through a mountain town to dinner. Good luck.

$379 (retail) for the Fitz Roy is a lot of dollars for what the jacket offers, it seems.

EDIT: Actually, it seems like this jacket is simply in a different class of warmth than most of the jackets we have been talking about.

Postby Cruiser » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:26 am

I had been eyeing the GoLite Bitterroot jacket for a while and finally decided to pull the trigger. It's a nice minimalist style puffy. If it fits you well then it's certainly worth considering since the price is so reasonable right now. That said, if you're going to be using it around town a good bit you might consider the Roan Plateau jacket instead since it has a few more features. It's a little heavier than the Bitterroot but it's still super packable because of the 800fp down and the ultralight pertex shell material.
Where ever you are... There you are.

Postby RoanMtnMan » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:53 pm

ezabielski wrote:$379 (retail) for the Fitz Roy is a lot of dollars for what the jacket offers, it seems.

EDIT: Actually, it seems like this jacket is simply in a different class of warmth than most of the jackets we have been talking about.

It is in a different warmth class than many of the other jackets mentioned but not much heavier. I paid $138.99 for my Fitz Roy and that wasn't through a pro deal. A mountaineering skill that isn't usually talked about is how to acquire good gear at cheap prices. Retail is for rookies.

QTY ITEM NO. ITEM DESCRIPTION EACH TOTAL
1 PAT1582-LAG-L Patagonia Fitz Roy Hooded Down Jacket - Men's
Lagoon, L $138.99 $138.99
Subtotal: $138.99
Tax: $0.00
Shipping: $5.96
Total: $144.95

Postby lordhelmut » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:33 pm

RoanMtnMan wrote:
ezabielski wrote:$379 (retail) for the Fitz Roy is a lot of dollars for what the jacket offers, it seems.

It is in a different warmth class than many of the other jackets mentioned but not much heavier. I paid $138.99 for my Fitz Roy and that wasn't through a pro deal. A mountaineering skill that isn't usually talked about is how to acquire good gear at cheap prices. Retail is for rookies.

QTY ITEM NO. ITEM DESCRIPTION EACH TOTAL
1 PAT1582-LAG-L Patagonia Fitz Roy Hooded Down Jacket - Men's
Lagoon, L $138.99 $138.99
Subtotal: $138.99
Tax: $0.00
Shipping: $5.96
Total: $144.95

Roan - care to elaborate on how you landed that deal?

Postby RoanMtnMan » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:01 pm

I had been eyeing the Fitz Roy for months and Patagonia pro deal only reduced it to $180, which was still a little rich for me. It finally alerted on my SAC app last year so I pulled the trigger. Unfortunately I have used the jacket so much it is already starting to get me thinking about what is next :( . I should have bought 3. It really is a great jacket for the Colorado backcountry.

I got that Kelvinator for $96. I like it as well, but for different uses. One can often do better scouring the internet than with pro deals (except Dynafit), it just takes more time and patience. I just found a replacement pair of Arc'teryx Gamma SK Pants for $100 from a shop in Virginia on closeout. The price was much less than Arc'teryx pro form.

Like I said, shopping now seems to be a mountaineering skill :-D .

Postby aiyers » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:02 pm

After reading this thread and numerous other threads on the forum, I purchased the GoLite Bitterroot jacket today for $150.
I also plan on looking at the Montbell Frost smoke parka this weekend in Boulder. If I like that, I will return the GoLite.

But, so far, from the fit, it looks very good.

Cheers,
-A

PreviousNext