Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Western Mountaineering Versalite or Antelope?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Western Mountaineering Versalite or Antelope?

Postby highplaces » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:24 pm

I’m looking at the WM Versalite and Antelope bags.

Versalite / 10 degree / 20 oz fill weight / 2 lb weight / ultralight fabric
Antelope / 5 degree / 26 oz fill weight / 2 lb 7 oz weight / microfiber fabric

Planning on using it mainly for tenting May-September. I sleep cold, so I lean towards the Antelope, but then I start thinking about carrying the additional ½ pound. I’d say my use would be split 50/50 between backpacking trips (where I carry the weight everyday) and base camp trips (where I only carry the weight to camp).

Is it overkill to go with the Antelope?

Also, I can do a special order and overfill the Versalite bag with 3 oz of down which would be almost halfway in weight between the Versalite and Antelope.

Re: Western Mountaineering Versalite or Antelope?

Postby SarahT » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:27 pm

I sleep cold too and am PLENTY warm in my WM Apache (rated 15 degrees) from spring thru fall in Colorado. Don't have to break out the bigger one til November usually.
Die Zeit ist unendlich lang und ein jeder Tag ein Gefäß, in das sich sehr viel eingießen lässt, wenn man es wirklich ausfüllen will.... Goethe
http://www.13ergirl.com/

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:58 pm

The Apache with overfill might be a nice compromise; I sleep cold and have the Apache without overfill.

One benefit of the Apache over the Versalite is that the Apache's shell is a little more water resistant.

Postby nyker » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:48 am

I use a WM Versalite and have found it good in Colorado when I've camped. Although the coldest its gotten was maybe high teens/20 during the nights I was in a tent, I was never cold in this bag and only had one thin layer of clothes on underneath while I slept. I feel I sleep cold also, but this has worked well. This has been coupled with an inflatable mat (moderate R value) in a pretty solid tent, which helps. For warmer nights, I open the bag up and use it as a blanket. I haven't had much of an issue with condensation (a function of your tent, among other things), but when it does get condensation/frost on it, it dries pretty quickly. My one fear is that one day upon returning from a summit climb, a hungry marmot will find it to its liking!

Postby highplaces » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:54 pm

Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences. Since it's such a big bucks purchase, I'm really hemming and hawing over the decision. It's so hard when you just won't know until you try it. Don't want to get the lighter one and be cold, but also don't want to buy the heavier one and realize I didn't really need it (and have to carry that extra weight around). Again, thanks for the advice.

Postby nyker » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:14 pm

Either way, WM bags are high quality, you won't go wrong. With the lighter one, you can always sleepin an extra layer of clothes and a hat.

Postby schrund » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:37 pm

Bent gate is having a sale on Western Mountainering bags: http://www.bentgate.com/wemocoblsa.html
We did not think of the great open plains, the beautiful rolling hills, and winding streams... as "wild". Only to the white man was nature a "wilderness".
-Luther Standing Bear, Oglala Chief

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:33 pm

I sleep real cold. Have an Antelope and a friend got the Versalite. Her's looks more pumped up, but she has been cold in it during those months. I'm ok May through September with mine.

Also have an Ultralite with 3oz overfill. I've actually been cold in it sometimes in summer. Also have a 0 degree Marmot and a -40 Marmot. The -40 is great, never been cold in it even in mid-winter at altitude, but it weighs 4# 11 oz. The 0 degree Marmot worked ok last January; I doubt the 5 degree Antelope would have. Side by side, the Antelope looks anemic.

Picked up a Downmat 9 late last winter and used it once, on the Holy Cross trip in March. Worked great. Ambient temps were on the warm side, but I love this pad, and suspect it will add a lot.

One word of caution - there is only so much insulation you can stuff into a given bag. For me, the idea of sleeping in extra clothes has not panned out. I've found I'm actually warmer in a bag that's slightly heavier, and the heavier bag is generally lighter than the light bag and extra clothes anyway. I'd recommend getting the bag right the first time. As Nyker says, you can always open the bag up and use it as a blanket on warmer nights if needed.

PS - Thanks, Shrund, for that info on the Bentgate sale. Looks great!

Postby mts4602 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:45 pm

schrund wrote:Bent gate is having a sale on Western Mountainering bags: http://www.bentgate.com/wemocoblsa.html

Thanks soo much! Just picked myself up a -25 Puma! \:D/
Matt