Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

DIY backcountry bombing

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

DIY backcountry bombing

Postby Stevo68 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:20 pm

I was driving along thinking about avalanche control on certain hikes; hypothetically speaking if one were to purchase strong perhaps non condoned firecrackers and used it for backcountry bombing. Would that not be a bad idea??

Re: DIY backcountry bombing

Postby RoanMtnMan » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:25 pm

Probably not a good idea unless you have explosive training.

Edit: My original post was a bit cowboy and it is right that it shouldn't be broadcast for greater safety.

I am still walking the line between what is actually done and what is accepted.
Last edited by RoanMtnMan on Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:08 am, edited 5 times in total.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Postby schrund » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:34 pm

We did not think of the great open plains, the beautiful rolling hills, and winding streams... as "wild". Only to the white man was nature a "wilderness".
-Luther Standing Bear, Oglala Chief

Postby Stevo68 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:41 pm

Stevo68 wrote:hypothetically speaking

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:53 pm

I would be concerned about the possibility of others in the area, the presence of whom may be unknown to said hypothetical bomber.

Not a good idea.

Personal air-bag: Much better idea.

JMPO, of course.

Postby Tortoise1 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:12 pm

Bombing an avalanche on to innocent passerbys with illegal explosives would be close to the absolute zenith of personal liability, not to mention the criminal issues, but it does sound like fun.

Postby pvnisher » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:46 am

My Master's thesis originally was going to be an avalanche rocket. I had done quite a bit of research into the rocket motor, payload, guidance system, costs, remote detonation, ecological impacts, etc. Ended up switching projects, but I was really sad to not be able to hike into the hills and (with proper supervision and permit/waiver/authority) blow some $h!+ up.

Postby Dave B » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:44 am

Stevo68 wrote:I was driving along thinking about avalanche control on certain hikes; hypothetically speaking if one were to purchase strong perhaps non condoned firecrackers and used it for backcountry bombing. Would that not be a bad idea??

Without a long distance delivery system you would have to be above the slope to throw explosives and trigger a slide. If this were the case there would be no point as you would already be safe from any avy consequences.

While this does sound like fun the possibility for unknown consequences are incredibly high.

If you are 100% confident in you ability to:

1. Handle explosives with out injuring yourself or anyone else unfortunate to be around you
2. Calculate slide run out area and ensure no one is in that area
3. Asses snow pack conditions and be able to predict the size of the slide (i.e. not inadvertently triggering a D5 slide that takes out an entire basin)

Then yes, this could probably be done safely. Otherwise it would be an experiment with enormous consequences.

But again, if you are above the slope and able to throw the explosives then there isn't really any point.
"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

Postby mtnfiend » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:37 pm

What's the difference between cutting a cornice and using an explosive to trigger a slide?

Postby its_not_a_tuba » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:23 pm

mtnfiend wrote:What's the difference between cutting a cornice and using an explosive to trigger a slide?

Explosives.
"Wilderness settles peace on the soul because it needs no help. It is beyond human contrivance." -- E.O. Wilson

Postby bob863 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:00 am

jeeez, no wonder why i feel uncomfortable hiking 14ers and being in the backcountry lately...

I thought having to deal with the bears, mountain lions, and mountain goats was all I had to worry about...

Postby JenGa » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:23 am

Stevo68 wrote:I was driving along thinking about avalanche control on certain hikes; hypothetically speaking if one were to purchase strong perhaps non condoned firecrackers and used it for backcountry bombing. Would that not be a bad idea??

Maybe throw that idea out there during a hypothetical Avy 1 class.

Next