Humboldt Peak Conditions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
snowymountainsrock
14ers: 1 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Humboldt Peak Conditions

Post by snowymountainsrock »

Hi, I was wondering what the conditions are like on Humboldt. Are snowshoes needed? Is there avalanche danger? Any special equipment? etc.
Thanks
Floyd
14ers: 58 
13ers: 100
Trip Reports (35)

Re: Humboldt Peak Conditions

Post by Floyd »

We attempted Marble on the 22nd. At that time there was about 6 inches or so lower on the S. Colony road. I put on snowshoes at the Rainbow Trail junction but the others put them on earlier. Humboldt's east ridge looked pretty dry at the time but there has been over a foot of snow dumped on the area since then (per forecast, I don't have 1st hand info). We turned around at treeline as the avy danger was extreme. The slope was gentle but the "whoomps" were strong enough to knock the snow off the nearby trees. Once the trees got short/sparce, it got pretty dicey even though the slope was probably only around 15 degrees. When we got back down, we could see there was a potentially hazardous slope above us so I'm glad we made the decision to turn around.
"Athletes express themselves physically, this is their art. As an athlete, exhausting oneself on the field or or on the track or on the trail or on the mountain brings calm and satisfaction. Thrashing about… our expression." - Steve Gleason
I Man
14ers: 58  49 
13ers: 74 7
Trip Reports (30)

Post by I Man »

The East Ridge route is considered the best winter route. It involves a lot of bushwhacking and route finding below treeline. Snow shoes will be needed for sure.

The route traditionally has low avy danger and doesn't hold snow above treeline on the ridge. You could likely get away without an axe or spikes.
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.
14erAddict
14ers: 58  19 
13ers: 181 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 14erAddict »

SilverLynx wrote:I've been calling around this morning about Humboldt conditions. I'll let you know if I hear anything one way or another. Trying to make a decision about Saturday...
Saturday looks perfect :)
"In every walk with nature, one receives far more than he seeks" - John Muir
USAKeller
14ers: 58  24  24 
13ers: 169 3 7
Trip Reports (46)

Post by USAKeller »

Not sure if this helps or not, but my friend pix messaged me this photo of the Sangres from her house in Westcliffe on 12/22. Yesterday she said they received a few more inches from the Christmas storm.

Last edited by USAKeller on Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
mtgirl
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 104
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtgirl »

USAKeller wrote:Not sure if this helps or not, but my friend pix messaged me this photo of the Sangres from her house in Westcliffe on 12/22. Yesterday she said they received a few more inches from the Christmas storm.

I want to wake up to that view every morning !!
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
14erAddict
14ers: 58  19 
13ers: 181 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 14erAddict »

SilverLynx wrote:Thanks for posting that, Caroline! Every little bit of information we can get helps.

The guy at the CAIC I talked to on the phone said he would appreciate it if we got back to him on the conditions for the Sangres.
You should let Kevin Baker know this too. He's doing the Crestones :)
"In every walk with nature, one receives far more than he seeks" - John Muir
ameristrat
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (9)

Post by ameristrat »

Hiked this today - no Avy danger, no snowshoes necessary. We used spikes and poles - pretty simple. We left some good trail for you too. Be ready for a long day! We're driving home now from the climb and left Denver at 3 am. If you have more questions, pm silverlynx, ameristrat (me), and lemmiwinks. One of us can let you know whats going on when we get back in a few hours.
Fiacra
14ers: 45  6 
13ers: 4 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Fiacra »

Thanks for the update. We just got to Westcliffe. Planning on starting at the winter closure at 5:30 tomorrow morning.

Have a safe drive home!
mollykay
14ers: 48  9 
13ers: 128
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mollykay »

Fiacra - hope to see you up there sometime tomorrow. Fepic1 and I are planning to start around 6:00.
ameristrat
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (9)

Post by ameristrat »

Be safe guys and have fun!
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal
Yikes
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 112 15
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Yikes »

conditions are good. no avy danger. trench to treeline. snowshoes/axe not needed.