Has anyone climbed West Spanish Peak in Winter?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Dchild10
14ers: 33  1  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (0)

Has anyone climbed West Spanish Peak in Winter?

Post by Dchild10 »

Any information on this route in winter would be great!
susanjoypaul
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 88 6
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Has anyone climbed West Spanish Peak in Winter?

Post by susanjoypaul »

I would call the San Carlos Ranger District at (719) 269-8500 to find out how far you can get up County Road 46 to the West Peak Trailhead at Cordova Pass. I'm pretty sure that road us closed seasonally, and - even if it is open - isn't plowed past the ranch.

If it's open all the way to the pass, the hike is 7.2 miles roundtrip. If the gate is closed at CO 12 and CR 46 (from the La Veta side), it's 19.2 miles roundtrip. Also, the last 0.9 mile is all talus, which might be a bit tricky on light, slippery snow.

You can also come in from the Aguilar side, but that's probably even more susceptible to snow closures.
aaronmojica
14ers: 23  4 
13ers: 14 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by aaronmojica »

The road from the top of Cuchara Pass to Cordova Pass TH isn't plowed (although the snow is pretty thin right now). A mile or two east down hwy 12 is an entrance for Cuchara Pass Ranches. That road comes back to Cordova Pass road a short two miles from the TH. From there it's an easy hike/shoe/whatever to the TH. The standard route is fairly straightforward from there. The Aguilar side (Wahatoya trail) is most likely inaccessible right now (but an awesome Route!). Watch the cornices just before the summit.
semitrueskerm
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (4)

Post by semitrueskerm »

No. But flew over it about 4 hours ago...
Peakjumper
14ers: 6 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Peakjumper »

Also interested in this as I want to Ride these peaks at some point this winter.
Bean
14ers: 45  45  10 
13ers: 9 4
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Bean »

Did it on xmas day a number of years back, from the Cordova Pass side. Was mostly dry (especially above treeline - the road was the snowiest part), same everything as in the summer.

Peakjumper, those peaks don't get much snow. I've never seen the south side with enough snow for skiing, and the north rarely looks much better.
"There are no hard 14ers, but some are easier than others." - Scott P
http://throughpolarizedeyes.com
Peakjumper
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Peakjumper »

Thanks Bean,
I'm moving down to the springs on the 7th of Jan. And am trying to find some new backcountry playground without having to drive north. I'll keep my eyes on the Spanish Peaks and after a couple of good storms I may have to give them a try. I'm not in any hurry just want to "eventually" do it.
krazykat
Trip Reports (0)

Post by krazykat »

Has anyone here ever skied WSP or ESP??? Would love to it covered with that much snow.
aaronmojica
Trip Reports (1)

Post by aaronmojica »

Those peaks are subject to hellacious winds. There can be feet of snow in the trees but bare above.
Peakjumper
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Peakjumper »

Well Krazy lets keep our eyes on it. And if the conditions grant us the opportunity Lets Hit them. Thanks for all the info guys, didn't mean to steal this thread...
aaronmojica
Trip Reports (1)

Post by aaronmojica »

Taken 1/15/13 from the south east.
[img] http://www.14ers.com/images/userpics/20 ... 135929.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
[/img]
Peakjumper
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Peakjumper »

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.ph ... 7795410156

For anyone thinking of skiing these, looks like they are going to get some good snow this weekend, and might open up some opportunities for some good turns down there the following weekend...