Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Mitten Comparrison

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Mitten Comparrison

Postby Steve Gio » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:20 pm

Looking at the Black Diamond mercury Mitt vs. Outdoor Research Highcamp mitt for my wife. Both look pretty similar but am curious if anyone uses either of these and can make a recommendation. I have yet to find her a mitt that keeps her warm in windy conditions.

Thanks folks

Steve

Re: Mitten Comparrison

Postby sunny1 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:37 pm

I have the BD Mercury mitts and LOVE them.
I always wear liner gloves with them - so I can slip off the mitts and have the dexterity to do necessary things briefly.
I don't remember ever having cold hands while wearing the BD Mercury's.

Have never tried the OR Highcamp mitts. Perhaps someone else can chime in on those.
The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana.

Postby RoanMtnMan » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:56 am

http://marmot.com/products/8000_meter_mitt

My wife and I have used the same two pair for over a decade and they are still functioning well. I actually loaned them out this morning to a friend going to Aconcagua next week. At -40 my hands have been toasty and as dexterous as one could hope for in a mitt. Expensive but will likely last a lifetime.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Postby davebks » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:51 am

+1 to the Mercury Mitt. Used it at Keystone all day on Saturday in the snow, 20's temps, no liner, with the down insert and my hands were toasty all day.
Also used them in Peru climbing at 6000M and they were great.

Postby MuchosPixels » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:07 pm

I have the Mercury Mitts. Buy them with confidence. They are my go to glove when its cold and I know im gonna be away from civilization for a while. I use them a lot while skiing if its going to be below 15F. Awesome glove.

Postby BobbyFinn » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:14 pm

Mercury Mitts are great. I use liners with them and, if needed, a hand warmer (my hands run cold). Once my hands get warm in the mitts, they stay warm.

I haven't tried the other ones so I can't comment on them.

Bob
"Mind what you have learned. Save you it can." - Yoda
"Rudeness is a weak person's imitation of strength." - Paul Arel

Postby Steve Gio » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:52 pm

So I bought the Outdoor Research High Camp mitts. The BDs were just too pricey for what seems to be a very similar mitt. Both have Primaloft one, high loft fleece and the ORs have a removable 100wt fleece liner with a heat pad pocket. Also the gauntlet and draw cord on mine (OR Meteor mitt) are awesome. So I will post back after xmas and let you all know how she likes them. Hopefully it will be a white Christmas. ho ho ho

Postby Steve Gio » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:42 pm

Just to follow up I bought the Outdoor Research Highcamp Mitts. Although they seem very warm, they were a bad fit. The size small had unusually long stretch between thumb and finger tip. This resulted in about 3-4 cm from finger tip to end of mitt. Also the gauntlet was quite short and would not pull over a jacket sleeve easily.

We ended up buying her the Hestra Alpine Pro Mitt from a shop in Breck. The one next to the crepe stand. These fit perfect and made with all natural materials. Got 2 days on the mountain this weekend and she never needed hand warmers. Success!!! Yes these are a much more expensive mitt but in the end the extra bucks were well worth it.

I tried the men's version of these and I am jealous. Soft wool inside, all the way up the gaunlet, real leather palm and super comfortable.

Postby jblyth » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:52 pm

RoanMtnMan wrote:http://marmot.com/products/8000_meter_mitt

My wife and I have used the same two pair for over a decade and they are still functioning well. I actually loaned them out this morning to a friend going to Aconcagua next week. At -40 my hands have been toasty and as dexterous as one could hope for in a mitt. Expensive but will likely last a lifetime.

I've been looking at these since my hands run cold. Thanks for sharing your opinion, I've had a hard time finding any reviews.

Postby ctlee » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:20 pm

I can't say enough about the Outdoor Research Alti Mitts. My hands are perpetually cold--I have used these mostly above treeline in extremely cold, windy conditions and my hands were absolutely toasty. They might be overkill for some people but they've taken the cold, numb hands problem out of my outdoor endeavors entirely. They retail for $200 but I've found them for $118 on EverestGear.com and some other sites.
Live as if you were to die tomorrow-learn as if you were to live forever-----Mahatma Gandhi