handies/redcloud/sunshine peak in winter

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
mtn_nut
14ers: 58  14 
13ers: 35 1
Trip Reports (5)

handies/redcloud/sunshine peak in winter

Post by mtn_nut »

i am thinking about doing these three peak in a week or two, and i was wondering how the access from Ouray is? i understand that the road may not be open all the way or suitable for driving from Highway 550, and i don't mind hiking/skinning in, I'm just wondering what to expect.

Is any of the road towards the american basin / Silver Crk / Grizzly Gulch Trailhead from highway 550 plowed during the winter with 2wd access?
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Re: handies/redcloud/sunshine peak in winter

Post by rijaca »

From Ouray, I would get on 550N to Montrose, 50E towards Gunnison, and then 149S to Lake City. Go south on 149 a couple miles and turn on County Road 30 toward Lake San Cristobal and Cinnamon Pass. The road is usually closed (gated) about 6 miles below the Silver Creek/Grizzly Gulch TH.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
Dancesatmoonrise
14ers: 58  43 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (68)

Post by Dancesatmoonrise »

Great question! And great answer.

So Ricky, know anything about these alternate winter routes for RC/Sun and Handies?

Redcloud: From the winter closure, ascending the broad, treed SE ridge immediately west of Bent Creek, to gain Sunshine's E ridge, then traverse to RC and back.

Handies: From the winter closure, continuing up the Lake Fork, left at the fork for Cottonwood Creek (staying in the drainage,) then gaining 13454's moderately steep, treed E/SE ridge to its due-east alpine ridge, then over 13795, continuing to 13735, and finally to Handies.

Anybody?

Thanks! And Merry Christmas, everyone!!
mtn_nut
Trip Reports (5)

Post by mtn_nut »

http://goo.gl/maps/7YBNC" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

i meant this route. i since im going to be in ouray, i think its kind of lazy to drive 300+ miles round trip to the lake city side. if the road is closed at highway 550, i guess i'll have to pack my stuff in further than the lake city side. if the road is ski-able, that shouldn't be too bad at all, especially on the way out.
Kevin Baker
14ers: 58  53 
13ers: 674 32
Trip Reports (125)

Post by Kevin Baker »

mtn_nut wrote:http://goo.gl/maps/7YBNC

i meant this route. i since im going to be in ouray, i think its kind of lazy to drive 300+ miles round trip to the lake city side. if the road is closed at highway 550, i guess i'll have to pack my stuff in further than the lake city side. if the road is ski-able, that shouldn't be too bad at all, especially on the way out.
Cinnamon Pass isn't plowed in winter. The standard route for Redcloud/Sunshine is via the east ridge of Sunshine as Dances described from near the Mill Creek campground.

The standard winter route for Handies is via Grouse Creek from the south, which traditionally has avy concerns. This route starts on CR-30 near Sherman.
Always do what you are afraid to do. -Ralph Waldo Emerson
mtn_nut
Trip Reports (5)

Post by mtn_nut »

i understand that pass is not plowed, however im wondering if any of that road is plowed from highway 550.
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

mtn_nut wrote:i understand that pass is not plowed, however im wondering if any of that road is plowed from highway 550.
Pretty sure none of that road is plowed from 550. (It's a 4wd road)
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"