Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Splitboard w/Dynafit - a whole new game!

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Re: Splitboard w/Dynafit - a whole new game!

Postby shaunster_co » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:54 am

Thanks for posting this Barrows, I was trying to keep up with it on splitboard.com to get an idea of how people liked them. I just migrated from the Voile plates to Bomber TD's this season, of course with the Dynafit interface. This new system does indeed appear awesome. I wonder if pieces of the interface can be mounted to multiple boards? I am currently using the Bomber TD's on multiple boards, and that would be my only dilemma. Again, thanks for posting this!

Postby atalarico » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:40 pm

This is a great post! I've been holding off on getting a split because I knew since it was so new that it was going to get better and better each year and I think it really has.

Anyone hear about K2 rehashing the clicker bindings into a splitboard setup. It's called Kwicker. http://business.transworld.net/117611/features/meet-k2s-kwicker-the-step-in-split-board-binding-system/

It's interesting, but I'm more interested in this Dyna mod the OP posted. The Phantoms look interesting, but I'm not quite sure I understand it all the way.

Postby England » Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:46 pm

To the OP. How was the transfer from skis to a board? Thinking of doing the same thing, but have never used a board. My kids board, and skateboard like naturals. I can't even stand on a skateboard without falling off brutally, so I'm thinking it's not a good idea.
Peter Gallagher quote: "Many people say I move fast for a guy that's out of shape. Then I just remind them that round is a shape".

Postby shaunster_co » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:31 pm

atalarico wrote:This is a great post! I've been holding off on getting a split because I knew since it was so new that it was going to get better and better each year and I think it really has.

Anyone hear about K2 rehashing the clicker bindings into a splitboard setup. It's called Kwicker. http://business.transworld.net/117611/features/meet-k2s-kwicker-the-step-in-split-board-binding-system/

It's interesting, but I'm more interested in this Dyna mod the OP posted. The Phantoms look interesting, but I'm not quite sure I understand it all the way.

I do not own the Phantom interface, but I think I can shed some light on it from the few that got in on the initial build this year. Backtracking: One of the obstacles with the typical Voile split interface is the distance from the base of the boot to the top sheet of the board. In simple physics there has been a negotiation with this interface. The Phantom interface not only scatters weight, but it eliminates the puck system - which puts the boot sole closer to the board. It is a mountain plate (i.e. hard AT boots) system designed for descent only, where you would tour with a Dynafit toe-piece. Barrows I'm sure could shed more light on that.

There is also a substantial weight savings over the Voile interface. I have gotten used to the Voile interface in AT boots and only notice the compromise when making a butter or riding switch on steeps, I have been able to dial that in with a binding shim though. A large progression to my own binding system this season was modifying a pair of Bomber TD's with a shim and doing away with the Voile Mountain Plates altogether (pics attached). One other compromise is minor chatter at speed on icy scarp - but again, shims can at least reduce that problem. There is a lot more discussion of shims on and such on splitboard.com, since that venue caters to specific mods.

IMG_2085.jpg
Bomber TD binding
IMG_2085.jpg (144.36 KiB) Viewed 569 times

The only thing I have heard so far about the Phantoms is perhaps a small amount of digging from the release pin in to the AT boot sole - but that is a very minor issue overall, maybe not worth even mentioning. I think the jury is still out there on how, or I should say 'if' the Phantoms can be improved further. There was a lot of prototyping / input done from some pretty respected snowboard mountaineers before the initial run was even done, so the finished product that is out there is not exactly a prototype. I would expect to see these show up at the annual Silverton splitfest, and would not be surprised to see them at the SIA show someday soon. Analogous to tech bindings in AT skiing, I think Phantoms are a mover and shaker. But again, that is coming from someone that hasn't had a chance to demo them; rather just understanding the physics of the design.

As far as the K2 - that is a soft boot system, of which there are many out there with various step in interfaces. Personally I think the Sparks R&D / Karakoram system (like those on the Jeremy Jones setups) would be something to look in to if you are debating on a soft boot setup. But it is all preference. Hope that helps a little.

Postby shaunster_co » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:36 pm

England wrote:To the OP. How was the transfer from skis to a board? Thinking of doing the same thing, but have never used a board. My kids board, and skateboard like naturals. I can't even stand on a skateboard without falling off brutally, so I'm thinking it's not a good idea.

England, for myself being a skier since I was six, and switching to a board 30 yrs later... Get a big bottle of Advil. No, seriously, the transition wasn't that bad for me personally. Once you have muscle memory and your brain understands edges the progression isn't that different. You tend to progress much faster than someone that has never been on sticks of any sort. With that said, the first few days are rather painful. Keep a good spirit about and finish the day off with a microbrew. Try a rental inbounds and give it a shot.

Postby provotrout » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:56 am

shaunster_co wrote:
xam_zerep wrote:Edit to add: By the way - I should mention; The setup I have uses the Spark R&D adapter plate. Due to the screw size of Dynafits it is a good idea to use the adapter plate rather than a direct mount. With the adapter plate you can use the existing holes [of the touring bracket] so that no drilling is required to mount the Dynafit toe-piece. It scatters the weight so that you do not risk sheering the Dynafit. The plates look like this: http://www.sparkrandd.com/products/dynafit-speed-radical-adapter-new/

Thanks for the link, looks like a decent price point for the toe pieces. Any suggestions on the ride mode bails? I'm planning to go with the voile pucks and rail but am hitting a snag on securing a ride mode interface. Suggestions appreciated!

Postby shaunster_co » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:20 pm

provotrout wrote:Thanks for the link, looks like a decent price point for the toe pieces. Any suggestions on the ride mode bails? I'm planning to go with the voile pucks and rail but am hitting a snag on securing a ride mode interface. Suggestions appreciated!

If you are referring to a ride mode in hard boots (AT boots) - Voile makes a mountain plate as a baseline. There are also higher-end combinations that can be mounted to the Voile slider plate made by Catek, and or Bomber Industries. If you decide to order the Voile plates, consider using the 14ers link on the front page to REI to help support the site.

Postby provotrout » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:27 pm

Thanks for the help shaunster.

Got the new setup together last Friday and took 'er out for a tour on Saturday.. HUGE improvement in tour mode. For touring the new setup dropped the weight below my feet substantially. I need to work on the boots to make riding more comfortable, but it's a huge improvement.

Postby Easy Rider » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:42 pm

I am curious about this boot in particular; very light! I found that getting more forward lean improves the feel of a hard boot. The back one especially. Thanks for posting.

Postby shaunster_co » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:13 am

Nice! I know a few others that ride with the TLT - some have modified the lockout (walk / tour) bracket by making the hole oblong. This allows more forward lean (should you want that). Way to go on the setup!

Previous