Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

SPOT Beacon....

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: SPOT Beacon....

Postby Dex » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:09 pm

winmag4582001 wrote:
Dex wrote:
screefieldstevie wrote:Never had one single problem with my check-in/"ok" messages.....

How do you know?

You can set it up to send you a text, facebook update, or twitter post when the OK button is pressed. You can also check the status online when you get home.
I really like the spot. As far as the "emergency" button, I would not fully trust my life to any electronic device no matter what brand or how expensive. For the price, performance, and features, I feel the SPOT is a good buy.

Thanks - that is interesting.

My thinking is that if I'm hiking, I don't want to have my mind occupied/distracted with texts etc.

I don't participate in social media, except for forums such as this one, nor do I text.
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby screefieldstevie » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:45 pm

Every time I click those buttons it also posts to my Facebook, and when I get home I check and my family has always received their messages.... whether 100% reliable or not, I still like the better odds of having it than not having it :)
"Cause the Rocky Mountain Way Is better than the way we had" - Joe Walsh

Postby bob863 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:21 pm

I would like to suggest a "hint/tip"...I have my "OK" button set-up to not only notify my wife, but I also have it set to send my personal cell phone a text message.....at most 14'er TH's I can send an "OK" message (and receive it on my cell phone) to verify that the SPOT is working...

Postby TallGrass » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:56 pm

FYI, Spot's offering a rebate for the price of the beacon if you buy a beacon and one-year subscription between December 21-24. Details: http://www.findmespot.com/HolidayWeekendRebate http://www.findmespot.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5&products_id=15
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

Postby jrs1965 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:16 am

SpringsJeff wrote:+1 on the ACR Resqlink

Higher initial cost but no annual fee

Uses the 406 mhz SARSAT system

Can't text or do the cute stuff but when my wife and I are snowshoeing hut to hut in the middle of nowhere I need to know I can absolutely, positively reach SAR in an emergency.

Agreed, my Christmas present to myself was the ACR ResQLink 406.

It uses two separate and dedicated constellations of SAR satellites. The first constellation of three satellites (GEOSAR) are in a geosynchronous orbit at 22,000 miles. One of these birds will get an instant read on your beacon and GPS fix if the unit has located itself via internal GPS. The second constellation (LEOSAR) are in low Earth orbit and has a maximum gap in coverage time of 90 minutes. If for some reason the GPS on the unit doesn't transmit your location to the synchronous birds the low Earth birds will triangulate your location as they pass over. Lastly, the unit has a separate homing beacon and a strobe light for the ground/air rescue force to zero in on.

Easy choice for me...

Last edited by jrs1965 on Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby TallGrass » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:41 pm

Was passing on rebate info (through Dec 24) for those who've decided on SPOT and or it's features, jrs1965, not trying to rekindling debate.
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

Previous