Peak ID help please, Boulder

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
davebks
14ers: 10 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (3)

Peak ID help please, Boulder

Post by davebks »

Hi, I drive to work on 36 every day and always see this one little hill poking out behind the flatirons. Anyone know what it is or if there is a hike to the top?
Thanks!
Attachments
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (121.25 KiB) Viewed 867 times
lukePlumley
14ers: 52 
13ers: 232
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Peak ID help please, Boulder

Post by lukePlumley »

That peak is Sugarloaf Mountain
http://www.listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/Cl ... hp?Id=4211

It has a very nice trail to the summit and makes a great winter hike. Huge views! Check it out.

lp
"Ain't nothing to it, Listsofjohn made me do it!" -- Ice Cube
davebks
Trip Reports (3)

Post by davebks »

Oh! That's Sugarloaf.
Cool, thanks for the help. I figured that might be an easy one.
Thanks, appreciate it!

Maybe I will hike that one this weekend. With the new snow, you think it's a decent skin up ski down kinda peak?
Last edited by davebks on Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
madbuck
Trip Reports (6)

Post by madbuck »

lukePlumley wrote:That peak is Sugarloaf Mountain
http://www.listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/Cl ... hp?Id=4211

It has a very nice trail to the summit and makes a great winter hike. Huge views! Check it out.

lp
Darn tootin'

Luke, if I beat your reply by just a few seconds, it's made my day: I've seen your signature and faded bootprints all over Larimer Co. See you out there some time!
davebks
Trip Reports (3)

Post by davebks »

Hmmm... I am finding this online. Am I looking in the right place? I was thinking it might be a bit longer hike...? Some sites say 6 miles some 2. I am assuming the 6 is RT? but still doesn't add up.
Thanks for the help! Oh, dogs ok on this one?

Trail Statistics & Information
Activity Hiking
Nearby City Boulder
Length 2 mi
Elevation Gain 477 ft
Skill Level Easy
Duration 1 hour
Trailhead Elevation 8,500 ft
Top Elevation 8,850 ft

Other sites say:

Trail Length: 6.2 miles
Elevation: 8,117 to 9,103 feet
madbuck
Trip Reports (6)

Post by madbuck »

It can be short because Sugarloaf Mtn Rd goes to 500 ft. below summit, and the rest of the hike is on a 4WD road (map)

You could hike or bike farther along Switzerland Trail from the West if you wanted to tack on more distance, or do it in snow (road conditions depending) for more challenge.
My suggested route in the first reply added Bald Mountain (9147' - careful, there are other nearby Bald Mtns), which made for a more satisfying trip for the drive, but there's not fully a trail the whole way, so a little bit of routefinding.

Heck, why not sunrise before work?
B[3]
14ers: 58 
13ers: 96 14
Trip Reports (22)

Post by B[3] »

This was a great hike for today--thanks for the great suggestion! Given the conditions, I was happy to spend most of the hike below treeline. I tracked our trip, and according to the GPS it was 4.5 miles for Sugarloaf Mountain and Bald Mtn.
Learn from the mistakes of others--you can never live long enough to make them all yourself.--Unknown
Don't chase your dreams, catch them.--Unknown