Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Stove fuel & airline travel

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Stove fuel & airline travel

Postby herdbull » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:07 am

So I've hit a little bit of a snag in wanting to use my alcohol stove on an upcoming climb. I have an MSR Simmerlite I will use at base camp but I was wanting to bring a stove along to the summit. No summit beer for me as I don't drink so it's coffee.

The Simmerlite and everything needed to boil water is quite heavy so I was hoping to pack along my 29 gram alcohol stove. Problem is my contact in Mexico can not get the proper fuel. Any suggestions? I've never flown with all my gear before and I may just have to lug the bigger heavier stove along with everything else. Just trying to save ounces as every little bit counts :) .

I need one of the following:

1. HEET brand fuel. Get it in the Yellow bottle.

2. Air-brake antifreeze (100% Methanol-found at most truck stops).

3. De-natured alcohol found in any hardware or paint supply.

I'll probably pack it along just in case something comes along but honestly there isn't much time built into trip to spend a half day searching out fuel.

Re: Stove fuel & airline travel

Postby Gabriel » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:31 am

The open air markets in Puebla have alcohol for sale. Hardware stores are easy to find in Mexico. The Walmart in Puebla has a home improvement section. Assuming your going to Tlach, there should be a hardware store.

Have fun

G

Postby chrismjx » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:02 am

My buddy flew from Denver to Austin, TX with two FULL cans of pressurized stove fuel, and apparently TSA had no objections... Or they were playing ping pong instead of watching the X-ray! :lol:

Postby Wish I lived in CO » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:53 am

Yeh, last summer I purchased fuel after arriving on a flight to Denver, knowing that I was not supposed to pack it for the flight. Problem was that I forgot it was still inside my jetboil canister for the return flight. After getting home and realizing my mistake I felt terrible. Oh well, ended well I suppose.
I look up to the mountains - does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth! Psalm 121:1-2

Postby its_not_a_tuba » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:09 am

I can't imagine that HEET or Denatured alcohol is unavailable in Mexico but if for whatever reason you can't find them you can fall back to just plain old rubbing alcohol. It burns dirty but it works.
"Wilderness settles peace on the soul because it needs no help. It is beyond human contrivance." -- E.O. Wilson

Postby Faldron » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:50 pm

Flew from Chicago to Denver and bought fuel when I arrived. Took out my gear that night and found a full can of fuel with my stove.

Fortunately, they didn't notice when they scanned the bags. Not sure what happens if you get confronted about it, but I'd rather not find out.

Postby RoanMtnMan » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:01 pm

There are rumors that people fly with full fuel bottles all the time and only get caught about 10% of the time. Not me of course, but other people.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Postby peter303 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:38 pm

Faldron wrote:Flew from Chicago to Denver and bought fuel when I arrived. Took out my gear that night and found a full can of fuel with my stove.

Fortunately, they didn't notice when they scanned the bags. Not sure what happens if you get confronted about it, but I'd rather not find out.

I suspect they cannot tell the difference between water bottles and fuel bottles. And after the BPA scare recently some people switch from plastic to metal water bottles.

Postby herdbull » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:49 pm

Gabriel wrote:The open air markets in Puebla have alcohol for sale. Hardware stores are easy to find in Mexico. The Walmart in Puebla has a home improvement section. Assuming your going to Tlach, there should be a hardware store.

Have fun

G

I'm hoping to find a hardware store or some sort of store in Tlachichuca that might have some. Although the town doesn't look that big. I'm also hoping the bus station is all I see of Puebla as this is a pretty type scheduled trip and not a lot of time to miss a bus or 2. I will also be alone and don't want to be roaming the streets with all my gear.

I'm wondering if they'd confiscate the bottle or just dump it? I'm guessing they'd keep the bottle but don't know. Kinda don't want to give them a reason to hold me up either. They can be real :evil: if they want to.

Postby MountainHiker » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:11 pm

In the post 9-11 climate I wouldn’t take a chance on all my gear being held up. Who are you using in Tlachichuca for transportation to the mountain? You could contact them to see if they can have the fuel for you. We stayed with Senor Reyes last time. We didn’t need fuel but they were accommodating with what we did need. http://www.servimont.com.mx/english/
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

Postby RoanMtnMan » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:17 pm

herdbull wrote:I'm hoping to find a hardware store or some sort of store in Tlachichuca that might have some. Although the town doesn't look that big. I'm also hoping the bus station is all I see of Puebla as this is a pretty type scheduled trip and not a lot of time to miss a bus or 2. I will also be alone and don't want to be roaming the streets with all my gear.

I'm wondering if they'd confiscate the bottle or just dump it? I'm guessing they'd keep the bottle but don't know. Kinda don't want to give them a reason to hold me up either. They can be real :evil: if they want to.

I doubt you will find what you are looking for in Tlachichuca. Puebla is a much better bet. Packing two bottles in your luggage, one full and one empty could yield some good results if you want to go that direction. The TSA is a total joke, yep, I have paid a lot of taxes, spend a whole lot of time in airports, and done my observation. I have only had my fuel questioned once and that was in Hawaii, weird, in the end I actually talked them into keeping it. In 2006, I came back from a hunting and fishing trip wearing my hunting jacket. I mistakenly had left several live ammo rounds in one of many pockets. I put my jacket in a bin, it went through the xray, I put it back on and then while waiting for my flight I noticed I had live rounds. I was terrified. My buddy accidentally flew a few years ago from Missoula to DIA with a Spyderco rescue knife with a 4 inch blade and some left over fireworks in his backpack. However, he did turn off his cell phone.

I am not advocating illegalities, just sharing my experiences.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Postby MountainHiker » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:32 pm

Another thought is how bad do you really need the stove? Most people do Orizaba from the hut. They get driven up one day and picked up the next afternoon after the climb. You don’t need to melt water, take a few big jugs. You don’t need to cook anything. Take real food from the markets – bread, cheese, fruit, packaged sliced meat, nuts etc. You are being driven so it doesn’t matter what it weighs. If you need a caffeine fix in the morning, suck down a chocolate Gu, or buy a bottled coffee at the grocery store. Take a cheaper sleeping bag. You’ll be inside, so you don’t need an expensive down bag. The less gear you leave at the hut the better.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

Next