Sherman Saturday - conditions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Ress_PA
14ers: 18  2 
Trip Reports (0)

Sherman Saturday - conditions

Post by Ress_PA »

I am looking into doing a Sherman hike this weekend and am wondering if anyone has been out that way since the recent snow who can vouch for conditions along the trail. I haven't been out that way since a Quandary hike on 26 October and was wondering if microspikes, gaiters and poles would do or are we looking at something more? Please let me know if you have any info on the conditions or if you'll be on the trail this weekend. ~ happy holidays!!
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Sherman Saturday - conditions

Post by mtree »

I'm not too concerned about climbing conditions. Snow, ice, whatever. But, what about the road to the gate? How far can it be reached before you gotta worry about the point of no return? I'm thinking 12/23 climb.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
ThuChad
14ers: 31  1 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by ThuChad »

I look forward to hearing the conditions also if either of you make it out there.
I'm just pretending to be a poseur.
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

I'm going up there Sunday with a buddy, just a fitness hike vs. a boring jog in my neighborhood. Weather looks OK; not great but not awful.
-Tom
Ress_PA
14ers: 18  2 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Ress_PA »

I did end up hiking Sherman today (Saturday.) The road was clear up to Leavick, after that there were areas of decent snow. A parking area was cleared out there, but it adds an extra mile or two each way compared to the higher parking areas. Trails weren't bad at all, it seemed like in most areas the snow was wind packed pretty hard or blown away entirely. The wind up on the ridge was kicking pretty hard though, have a safe trip if you guys end up heading up there.