Trough Route to Longs

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
MrRoy4UVA
Trip Reports (0)

Trough Route to Longs

Post by MrRoy4UVA »

Looking to see if anyone has been in this area since the big storm this week. Me and some friends from back east are looking at getting there around the 27th or 28th and just trying to do some scouting. Any information would be helpful, thank.
“You have to be strong, you have to be in shape, you have to be willing to be uncomfortable. And as I say, that doesn’t give you extra credit in this world, that is just the entry fee.” - Dave Hahn
Alan Arnette
14ers: 58 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Trough Route to Longs

Post by Alan Arnette »

Hard packed trail to treeline, some drifts above Alpine Brook where flotation would have been nice but not necessary. From Jim's Grove, Trough looked snow packed but with the 40+ winds, a lot was blowing away in unprotected areas.
IMG_1878.jpg
IMG_1878.jpg (123.54 KiB) Viewed 1125 times
Last edited by Alan Arnette on Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
unclegar
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (9)

Post by unclegar »

Alan Arnette wrote:...From Jim's Grove, Trough looked snow packed but with the 40+ winds, a lot was blowing away in unprotected areas.
Hey Alan, did you mean Loft? Wondered since I'm pretty sure you can't see the Trough from Jim's Grove.
...the mountain peaks belong to Him. -- PS 95:4

“All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.”
― Charles M. Schulz
DaveSwink
14ers: 37  12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (6)

Post by DaveSwink »

unclegar wrote:Hey Alan, did you mean Loft? Wondered since I'm pretty sure you can't see the Trough from Jim's Grove.
Thanks, I was just too embarrassed (and confused) to say anything. :oops: I am guessing you are right that Alan was describing the Loft.
Alan Arnette
14ers: 58 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Alan Arnette »

Whoops, misread the question. Yes you cannot see the Trough from Jim's Grove and I was talking about the Loft. sorry about that!

Still trying to be helpful, this weather station show 20" of snow-pack in Wild Basin so you might be able to get a feel for how much snow is on the west side of Longs. I would assume it is well snow packed. http://avalanche.state.co.us/obs_stns/stns.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MrRoy4UVA
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MrRoy4UVA »

Thank you very much for your help Alan! Can't wait to get back into RMNP, I've been away way too long.

PS: I love your blog, thank you for posting about your outdoor adventures.
“You have to be strong, you have to be in shape, you have to be willing to be uncomfortable. And as I say, that doesn’t give you extra credit in this world, that is just the entry fee.” - Dave Hahn
ChrisRoberts
14ers: 12 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ChrisRoberts »

Howdy guys, took a snowshoe trip up to Mills Lake on the 25th and just now remembered I got a shot of that side of Longs. Hope this helps anyone needing it, sorry it isnt any more zoomed...camera was just about dead starting out at the TH...
Attachments
rsz_100_7188.jpg
rsz_100_7188.jpg (152.31 KiB) Viewed 601 times
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
NoCoChris: Now with less Colorado!
ChrisRoberts
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ChrisRoberts »

Also, Im wondering if anyone has a conditions report for the trail up to Jims Grove and how snowy the slope is towards the Battle Mountain/Pine Ridge summits?
ChrisRoberts
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ChrisRoberts »

Nevermind, as expected it was hard packed to Alpine Brook, where a well trampled winter trail exists and leads to Jims Grove. Summer trail was kind of intermittent after Alpine Brook