Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Ascenders - Right or Left Hand

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Ascenders - Right or Left Hand

Postby mts4602 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:14 pm

I am right handed. Should I get a right handed ascender or would the ascender be in my left hand and my ice axe in the right?
Matt

Re: Ascenders - Right or Left Hand

Postby Brian C » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:21 pm

For what? Something like this...???
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth

Postby Bean » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:24 pm

Right.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby mts4602 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:25 pm

yep

Brian C wrote:For what? Something like this...???
Matt

Postby YouAndWhatGendarme » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:29 pm

Not having details on how you plan on using it, nobody will really be able to answer your question. However from the context of your post I am assuming you'll be using the ascender as a safety on a fixed line on non-vertical terrain. With proper ice axe technique in that situation, your axe switches hands, always staying in the uphill hand. The right and left handed ascenders refer to the side that the thumb release is situated on, so it really doesn't matter much as you should be in a secure position before removing it from the rope. If you're right-handed, a righty ascender is going to be easier, but removing an ascender from a frozen line while wearing mittens sucks no matter what hand you're using.

That being said, you should probably take a class to learn how to use these tools safely before buying anything since it's pretty apparent that you have no idea what you're doing. Or better yet, hire a [strike]babysitter[/strike] competent guide, and they will have a lot of what you need (equipment, skills & experience) to [strike]keep from killing yourself[/strike] do whatever it is that you plan on doing.

e; For comedy's sake, when reading the OP I initially pictured a dude with crampons, a single ice tool and an ascender doing some bizarre hybrid ice climbing / one handed jugging up gnarly waterfall ice.
Last edited by YouAndWhatGendarme on Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Punish your body to perfect your soul. - Mark Twight

Postby mts4602 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:34 pm

YouAndWhatGendarme wrote:That being said, you should probably take a class to learn how to use these tools safely before buying anything since it's pretty apparent that you have no idea what you're doing. Or better yet, hire a [strike]babysitter[/strike] competent guide, and they will have a lot of what you need (equipment, skills & experience) to [strike]keep from killing yourself[/strike] do whatever it is that you plan on doing.

yes I am taking a class through RMI. An ascender was recommened, but not required.
Matt

Postby Brian C » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:37 pm

If it was me I'd want my axe in my dominant hand, so if I were you I'd go with a left ascender. Like mentioned above, it wouldn't be the end of the world in this scenario to get the opposite. It is going to suck to use it with mittens regardless, and the remember that the device is only a backup. The more import skill to have is proper self arrest technique.
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth

Postby YouAndWhatGendarme » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:37 pm

Good call, I did a lot of my training with both RMI and SMI and they're a really solid bunch of folks. Don't buy anything just yet and try out the guides' gear to get a feel for what you like and what works for you. I hope you get that I wasn't trying to be a jerk. Have fun!
Punish your body to perfect your soul. - Mark Twight

Postby mountaingoat-G » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:54 pm

when I got my ascenders many years ago, they came as a pair.....

If just using one on a fixed line, I also would want to use a left handed ascender with the ice axe in my right (dominant) hand.

Postby Gabriel » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:13 am

I have both left and right, but now only use the Petzl tribloc as it saves weight and space in my pack/rack.

G