How young is too young for puppies on trail?

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
pills2619
14ers: 14 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: How young is too young for puppies on trail?

Post by pills2619 »

self centered yes but I don't do it to be inconsiderate I don't do anything for the sake of being inconsiderate but as I explained to someone who pm'd me about this topic. I honestly feel that it's cruel to not allow your dog off leash when appropriate and I cant think of a better place to do that then the mountains of Colorado.
They forget that some crisis is necessary to hone skill. "Near misses," those brief encounters with the reality of mortality, are great learning tools if properly approached. -Denali Climbers Guidebook
Wildernessjane
14ers: 58  13  46 
13ers: 256 23 19
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Wildernessjane »

pills2619 wrote:self centered yes but I don't do it to be inconsiderate I don't do anything for the sake of being inconsiderate but as I explained to someone who pm'd me about this topic. I honestly feel that it's cruel to not allow your dog off leash when appropriate and I cant think of a better place to do that then the mountains of Colorado.
I think it's a bit dramatic to make the claim that it's "cruel" to not allow your dog off leash. Obviously, what you mean by " when appropriate" is left open to interpretation. In my experience, dog owners who have not put the extensive time and energy into training their dogs feel the most strongly about keeping their dogs off leash. Dogs who are truly under voice command and have been leash trained are often a pleasure to have on or off leash. I would argue it IS cruel to subject wildlife (especially marmots, pica, and ptarmigan) to your dog just because it is more convenient for you to let him run free. By the way, my attitude about this topic changed after one of my two was nearly mauled to death by a Rottweiler out on trail (the guy said his dog had never shown aggression and he didn't even have a collar or leash with him).
“Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world.” -David McCullough?
ChicagoMike
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ChicagoMike »

Back to the original topic. We ended up taking him on a very short hike up at Brainard Lake just to get him outside in the snow and also to work on some obedience. He definitely let us know when he was done and as I mentioned before we didn't want to push to hard.

As far as the leash comments. I totally understand why a dog should be leashed around others and on popular hiking trails. It is just a good thing to be able to control your dog in certain situations. That being said I want him to be able to ski, and climb up class 1/2 14ers where he will not be on a leash all the time. Right now I am putting in a lot of work on come, sit, stay so hopefully when he is in those situations he can react appropriately.
zoriloco
14ers: 18  1 
Trip Reports (16)

Post by zoriloco »

If only people followed the rules...... :roll:
TallGrass wrote:
zoriloco wrote:I would also suggest you dont bring him out until you are completely sure the dog acts on command.
Isn't that what a leash is for? :roll:
To you Sir, Thank you very much! We need more people that think this way.
Derek wrote:
pills2619 wrote: I always grab the leash out of simple respect of the other people.
I've shared this story in the past, but it was a while ago and for sakes of the discussion will shortly share it again.

I was snowshoeing one time when out of nowhere I dog attacked me. He grabbed my pants and tore them up. I had tall boots so those helped in protecting. The owner was no where to be found. After a bit he shows up and apologizes and continued on the trail. I was attacked by the same dog 3 times if I remember correctly that same day. Now a days I just carry a 9mm with me in every trip. What would have happened if it went after my daugher instead of me?
ChicagoMike
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ChicagoMike »

zoriloco wrote:If only people followed the rules...... :roll:
TallGrass wrote:
zoriloco wrote:I would also suggest you dont bring him out until you are completely sure the dog acts on command.
Isn't that what a leash is for? :roll:
To you Sir, Thank you very much! We need more people that think this way.
Derek wrote:
pills2619 wrote: I always grab the leash out of simple respect of the other people.
I've shared this story in the past, but it was a while ago and for sakes of the discussion will shortly share it again.

I was snowshoeing one time when out of nowhere I dog attacked me. He grabbed my pants and tore them up. I had tall boots so those helped in protecting. The owner was no where to be found. After a bit he shows up and apologizes and continued on the trail. I was attacked by the same dog 3 times if I remember correctly that same day. Now a days I just carry a 9mm with me in every trip. What would have happened if it went after my daugher instead of me?
Ok tough guy, everyone appreciates that you are a protective father......this thread was supposed to be about when to train puppies to ski, not about shooting dogs.
Derek
Trip Reports (57)

Post by Derek »

ChicagoMike wrote:Back to the original topic. We ended up taking him on a very short hike up at Brainard Lake just to get him outside in the snow and also to work on some obedience. He definitely let us know when he was done and as I mentioned before we didn't want to push to hard.
Got any pics to share of him on the trip? Cute dog. (Assuming thats him in your avatar.)
ChicagoMike
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ChicagoMike »

Derek wrote:
ChicagoMike wrote:Back to the original topic. We ended up taking him on a very short hike up at Brainard Lake just to get him outside in the snow and also to work on some obedience. He definitely let us know when he was done and as I mentioned before we didn't want to push to hard.
Got any pics to share of him on the trip? Cute dog. (Assuming thats him in your avatar.)
He is vicious ;) 50lbs 6 months. He is our big baby.
Attachments
BLake.jpg
BLake.jpg (131.74 KiB) Viewed 3688 times
Floyd
14ers: 58 
13ers: 100
Trip Reports (35)

Post by Floyd »

And another thread where a dog owner asks a very honest question and it spirals out of control with the same old stuff... When will people learn that no one will change their point of view based on a bumper sticker or internet debate - especially one that's been beaten to death several times over.

Beautiful dog ChicagoMike. Hopefully Floyd can meet him along the trail one day.
"Athletes express themselves physically, this is their art. As an athlete, exhausting oneself on the field or or on the track or on the trail or on the mountain brings calm and satisfaction. Thrashing about… our expression." - Steve Gleason
Derek
Trip Reports (57)

Post by Derek »

Floyd wrote:Beautiful dog ChicagoMike.
Agree! Looks like a snow lover, just like mine. Thanks for sharing.
ChicagoMike
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ChicagoMike »

Derek wrote:
Thanks. I am a proud puppy daddy. Floyd is a good looking dog as well. How old? We love to go down to Chatfield.
zoriloco
14ers: 18  1 
Trip Reports (16)

Post by zoriloco »

I dont see what all the fuzz is about. The OP was about dogs out in the wilderness. Fact and not coming from a tough guy as i consider myself a very mellow person. There are people out in the mountiains armed. And as I see the point went completely over your head let me make it clear. Dog owners need to realize there are people out and about that consider their safety and their loved ones much more then a dog.
Floyd
14ers: 58 
13ers: 100
Trip Reports (35)

Post by Floyd »

ChicagoMike wrote:
Derek wrote:
Thanks. I am a proud puppy daddy. Floyd is a good looking dog as well. How old? We love to go down to Chatfield.
Thanks! Floyd will be 8 in February. We taught him to swim at Chatfield but frequent Cherry Creek. I'd say he's slowing down but he did a 20 mile/6k vert day in October and then turned around with a 13 mile day through knee-deep snow in November (Yes, we found the only snow in the state in the west side of the IPW.)
"Athletes express themselves physically, this is their art. As an athlete, exhausting oneself on the field or or on the track or on the trail or on the mountain brings calm and satisfaction. Thrashing about… our expression." - Steve Gleason