Good 1/2 day hike near Denver?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
pbakwin
14ers: 56 
13ers: 64
Trip Reports (19)

Good 1/2 day hike near Denver?

Post by pbakwin »

I'm looking for a good 6-ish hour hike (current conditions, strong hikers) to a summit of any height within an hour or so of Littleton. Prefer not to have to use snowshoes, but wouldn't rule it out. My bro is coming from out of town & won't be bringing a lot of gear. Normally, we'd go to the IPW or RMNP, but we're meeting people for an early dinner in Littleton... Thoughts???? Thanks!!!
dehrlich101
14ers: 46  2 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (21)

Re: Good 1/2 day hike near Denver?

Post by dehrlich101 »

Check out Rosalie in the Mount Evans Wilderness. 9.5 miles with 4280 elevation gain. The Deer Creek Trailhead is 45 min - 1 hr from Denver. Its a nice hike, lots of bristol cone pines around tree line. Not sure how much snow they got in that area but I'm guessing it'll be doable without snowshoes, the trail had no snow on it when I did it on 11/30.

http://www.summitpost.org/east-ridge-vi ... eek/160694
I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in - Aldo Leopold

Support Colorado Search and Rescue - CORSAR Card

LOJ
Tory Wells
14ers: 46 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Tory Wells »

There just aren't a lot of good mountains to climb down here, sad to say. At least compared to Boulder. But like Dehrlich said, the Mount Evans Wilderness is within an hour, as is the Lost Creek Wilderness. You can make a long day out of hiking/running Bison Peak in the LCW from the Bailey side. Not quite sure of the distance but I think it is in the neighborhood of 20 miles or more RT. It is a shorter hike from the Tarryall side, but a much longer drive. Not that YOU would ever be one to shy away from a long hike, Peter. :wink:

Of course, you can get to the Eisenhower Tunnel from here in an hour or so, so plenty of options up that way. James Peak Wilderness, Loveland Pass, Guanella Pass, etc.
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach
DaveSwink
14ers: 37  12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (6)

Post by DaveSwink »

Deer Creek Canyon Park right in Littleton has some very pleasant trails if you want something really close. I think hiking to the summit is probably around six miles and just over 1K.
Tory Wells
14ers: 46 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Tory Wells »

On second thought, Bison Peak is not a good idea this time of year. The trails in the LCW become very hard to follow when snow covered, especially for someone new to the area.

How about Bergen Peak (9708') from Elk Meadow Open Space? 2100' vertical gain on a 9 mile RT. Good views from the top.
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach
MountainHiker
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (7)

Post by MountainHiker »

Mt Falcon has a few high points that can be combined to get a couple thousand feet along with enough trails to do a mostly different return trip. It’s between Morrison & 285.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert
jaymz
Trip Reports (1)

Post by jaymz »

Much less than 6 hours required, but Mt. Morrison is a nice little summit that's just as close as Mt. Falcon or Plymouth Peak (Deer Creek Canyon), but more of a "climb" than those two, with better views (in my opinion).
Derek
Trip Reports (57)

Post by Derek »

Legault Mountain is one of my favorite close by hikes. GREAT views for a smaller peak (9er), easy day (5ish miles, 12-1400') and a short bushwhack at the last .25 miles for some navigation fun.

Easy starting at the Meyer Ranch OS parking too.

http://www.summitpost.org/legault-mountain/151607

--D
pbakwin
Trip Reports (19)

Post by pbakwin »

Thanks! Rosalie sounds good. Anyone have a clue about conditions? Snowshoes?
lpyle
14ers: 20  2 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by lpyle »

I live close to Rosalie at about 8000'. We only have a couple of inches on the trails near my house. With all the wind, some areas are bare and some have drifted a little deeper, maybe 8-12" in spots. So my guess is that you can probably do it without snowshoes.
"I believe that if you set out on an adventure and you're absolutely convinced you are going to be successful, why bother starting?"
- Sir Edmund Hillary
pbakwin
Trip Reports (19)

Post by pbakwin »

Good beta. Thx!
betterhigh
14ers: 35  1 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by betterhigh »

I "workout" on Green and Bear - go up from Chautaqua Park in Boulder, up saddle rock trail, greenman trail to top of Green and then up west Ridge trail to Bear (which is open). 2 peaks in 1 hike and great views east and west - traction advised due to snow/ ice which is ever present in some areas. Then down Fern canyon back to chautaqua. Good 11 mile loop and 4200' in 4-6 hours depending on speed. Rosalie is a good steady hike, the Pegamitite rocks are also a great stopping point. treeline can catch a lot of snow so do expect a workout for a hundred vertical feet or so. Going just to Pegamatite saves 1000'+ of vertical with still great city views and may better qualify for 1/2 day then full Rosalie. Have a great hike!