Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Pikes Peak Highway opening to bikes year-round

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Re: Pikes Peak Highway opening to bikes year-round

Postby Theodore » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:56 pm

tlongpine wrote:This is outstanding news. I've always wanted to spin up that road!

I'm piecing together a road bike... Kansan's attack Pike's next year? Does that count as a 'climb'? :D

Postby madbuck » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:08 pm

Theodore wrote:
tlongpine wrote:This is outstanding news. I've always wanted to spin up that road!

I'm piecing together a road bike... Kansan's attack Pike's next year? Does that count as a 'climb'? :D

When in doubt, go higher...or read a 14er guidebook in the bathroom.

For the latter, here is what Gerry Roach said about "climbing" a mountain:

Gerry Roach wrote:A good minimum criterion for climbing a peak is that you should gain a vertical height under your own power equal to your peak’s rise from its highest connecting saddle with a neighbor peak.

And he also mentioned biking explicitly (in this case, with respect to Mt. Evans):

Gerry Roach wrote:This is the easiest route up Evans, but it is long and high. Start at the Echo Lake Trailhead and walk, run, ski or bike up the Mount Evans Road.

Good enough for me!

Postby Tory Wells » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:15 pm

FWIW, I highly recommend a triple chainring for those wanting to ride Pikes. The grade is steep and unrelenting for pretty much the whole 25 miles (starting from Manitou Springs), save for a few spots of easier grade here and there. Pikes is much harder than Evans. But the pavement is also much better than Evans, so the descent is a lot more enjoyable.
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach

Postby Vincopotamus » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:54 pm

Tory Wells wrote:FWIW, I highly recommend a triple chainring for those wanting to ride Pikes. The grade is steep and unrelenting for pretty much the whole 25 miles (starting from Manitou Springs), save for a few spots of easier grade here and there. Pikes is much harder than Evans. But the pavement is also much better than Evans, so the descent is a lot more enjoyable.

Wise words for us mortals, but check out Justiner's trip report about his ride up Pikes and Evans this September. Dude's an animal!
http://gdmbr.justinsimoni.com/2012/10/mountain-playgrounds.html
Because I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me!

Postby Tory Wells » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:47 pm

Vincopotamus wrote:
Tory Wells wrote:FWIW, I highly recommend a triple chainring for those wanting to ride Pikes. The grade is steep and unrelenting for pretty much the whole 25 miles (starting from Manitou Springs), save for a few spots of easier grade here and there. Pikes is much harder than Evans. But the pavement is also much better than Evans, so the descent is a lot more enjoyable.

Wise words for us mortals, but check out Justiner's trip report about his ride up Pikes and Evans this September. Dude's an animal!
http://gdmbr.justinsimoni.com/2012/10/mountain-playgrounds.html

Wow: animal indeed. Quite an accomplishment, Justiner. =D>
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

-Steve Gladbach

Postby Theodore » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:12 pm

Might need to take my mtb then.... Dunno if I can find a large enough cogset with my standard 2 ring setup for 14er climbin!

Postby ezabielski » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:00 pm

Theodore wrote:

Might need to take my mtb then.... Dunno if I can find a large enough cogset with my standard 2 ring setup for 14er climbin!

Depends how strong a rider you can be in the 28.

Does anyone know the maximum grade on Pikes Peak road?

Postby Jim Davies » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:06 pm

According to this, max grade is 10.5% and average is 6.7%.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby geojed » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:22 pm

Here's a elevation profile and % grade profile for the Pikes Peak highway. It has max grade as 18-19% 1.28 miles from the toll booth.
Attachments
Pikes Peak elev and grade.jpg
Pikes Peak elev and grade.jpg (61.04 KiB) Viewed 292 times
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
• The best climber in the world is the one who’s having the most fun.— Alex Lowe
• Why do I climb the mountain? Because I'm in love! — The Captain

Postby justiner » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:04 pm

Also of interest if you have a MTB is the Ring the Peak trail system,

http://www.fotp.com/ringthepeak/index.html
The Long Ranger | STRAVA

"Any effort that has self-glorification as its final endpoint is bound to end in disaster" - Pirsig

Postby Tommy Dorr » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:33 pm

Kick ass climb for sure and quite a long day in the saddle. We took the MTB's and bombed Elk Park to Barr Trail and back to Manitou. On the five miles from the summit to Glen Cove, you can blow past cars like they're parked. I recommend maxing out your psi for the ascent, just don't forget to dump it at the top. I went in Sept when they had it open for the test. I'm the dude on the left.
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (153 KiB) Viewed 247 times
"Try not... do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"When the Power of Love overcomes the Love for Power, then the world will Know Peace." - Jimi Hendrix

Postby Tory Wells » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:05 pm

I'm not so sure that it kicks up to 18-19%. It's just not that steep. I think Jim's posted stat of 10.5% for a max grade is more accurate. But since it stays around that 8-10% grade for so long, that is what makes it so hard.

-Steve Gladbach

PreviousNext