Other ways to help...

Mount Adams (WA)

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA

Re: Mount Adams (WA)

Postby pbakwin » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:18 pm

I'd go early season & ski it!

Postby RoanMtnMan » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:17 pm

We climbed and skied the SW chutes in Dec of 1997 or maybe it was 98. I do remember the approach taking forever or perhaps I was just young and impatient. We took 2 days due to the fact that we were all coming from sea level. I recollect that the conditions were remarkably safe for that time of year. A vintage photo from that trip. That's right, skis and snowshoes, that is how I rolled back then. :-D

Last edited by RoanMtnMan on Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Postby lordhelmut » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:59 pm

Dammit, due to this thread, I'm yearning big time for some Cascade descents. Thanks a lot you jackasses!

Postby lazy climber » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:24 pm

One of the issues with doing Adams or a lot of the other Cascade climbs is that the trailheads are under snow till sometimes late June early July, great climbing but you may have to hike in an extra 3-5 miles just to get to the TH and the weather can still be iffy that time of year. "Summer" does not start here till after the 4th of July. If you want to do St Helens it has become a big pile of rocks by mid June and permits are $27 a day and it is only for that day, no "rain checks". Hood may still be OK by mid June, depending on our winter.

If you have skis then getting in early is not too bad and there can be some great runs, it makes getting up the "road" worthwhile.

Postby --bb-- » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:59 pm

I found Mt Adams to be a fun hike, even though I yearned to be on Rainier once on the summit. A friend and I set out from Seattle in the AM on an early September day. Took South Climb Trail #183. We started early afternoon and hiked /camped below the "Lunch Counter" at dusk. Good views of Mt Hood and Helen's. We didn't need crampons until just above the lunch counter and below Suksdorf Ridge. Was pretty windy on summit that day. PM me if you'd like more details.

Previous