Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

tight or loose long underwear

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: tight or loose long underwear

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:25 pm

None. :shock:

Andar a lo gringo, as they say. (Y donde estas los gringos de comandos aqui?)

But this is suited to a style. If your bag is winter peakbagging by day (including the pre-dawn and post-dusk day, of course) then it might work fine.

When temps are moderate, there's an ages-old pair of North Face nylon khaki climbing pants I use. Very light, thin, un-lined, mobile, somewhat loose. With plenty of upper-wear that often comes down to hip-height, and gaiters and high socks that protect up to the knee, these work fine. They are a tight weave nylon and do fairly well in winds.

When temps dip a bit, there's an old Mont Bell fleece pant, again, super light and a tight weave. They are not as resistant to wind, but work in colder temps.

If it looks like both cold temps and wind, then I will concede, and don a smart-wool mid-weight tighty under the North Face nylon climbing pant. This is a quite bomber arrangement.

But the discussion would be incomplete without the mention of the bottoms at the bottom of the pack. A Patagonia micro-fleece pant, full side zips, ready to go in the event of untoward or emergency conditions, 16 oz. Along with low-tech ultralight VBLs (plastic grocery bags for the feet in an emergency - adds 10 degrees of warmth) 1/2 oz for the pair. A hooded down parka increases core warmth and rounds out the emergency wardrobe.

Que vivan las fasionistas de escalando! :-D

Postby tlongpine » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:47 pm

Underwear?
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.

Postby climbingaggie03 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:53 pm

I like patagonia capilene 2 and I wear them close fitting, but not tight.

Postby DaveSwink » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:50 pm

climbingaggie03 wrote:I like patagonia capilene 2 and I wear them close fitting, but not tight.

I use lightweight REI, cap 2 & cap 3, depending upon the weather/conditions I expect. I like close fitting baselayers, but not restrictively tight. Have not put my head around the compression thing yet.
Last edited by DaveSwink on Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby summit co kc » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:06 pm

Compression 3/4 length tights.
Loose shirts.

Previous