Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

tight or loose long underwear

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

tight or loose long underwear

Postby davebks » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:28 am

Hi all, I was talking to a friend last night and we had different opinions. Do you prefer your long underwear bottoms skin tight, or a bit loose?
Just curious what others prefer. I am going to get some new stuff today. I have always had tight but might try looser.

Also, merino or cap bottoms? I go merino on all my tops now, period. but bottoms are different. soft and warm vs dry faster.

Re: tight or loose long underwear

Postby ThuChad » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:38 am

I always go with loose unless it's the only layer I'm wearing(running).

I use Patagonia's capilene 1 then their synchilla fleece pant over them with my shell on top. Works like a charm.
I'm just pretending to be a poseur.

“I stand here on the summit of the mountain. I lift my head and I spread my arms. This, my body and spirit, this is the end of the quest. I wished to know the meaning of all things. I am the meaning. I wished to find a warrant for being. I need no warrant for being, and no word of sanction upon my being. I am the warrant and the sanction. Neither am I the means to any end others may wish to accomplish. I am not a tool for their use. I am not a servant of their needs. I am not a sacrifice on their altars.” |Ayn Rand - Anthem

Postby geojed » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:41 am

I'm a Flanders man myself. :lol:

• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
• The best climber in the world is the one who’s having the most fun.— Alex Lowe
• Why do I climb the mountain? Because I'm in love! — The Captain

Postby TomPierce » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:45 am

Hey Dave,
I'm a tighty sorta guy. My view is that a primary function for long underwear is vapor/liquid transport, and also to prevent chilly drafts when there's a momentary gap in outerwear. So I prefer skin hugging long johns , but not even close to tight. And I use basic synthetic stuff, not merino but I'm sure that's fine too. Just me.
-Tom

Postby winmag4582001 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:47 am

I use H/H Warm base layers. I really like H/H stuff.
I like the lowers tighter and wear a pair of UA skivvies over them for extra wicking.
On the top side I go with one size larger than normal for free upper body movement. Acording to charts I'm a "L" but I buy the "XL" for tops. Over the top I wear a DryLogic t-shirt for extra wicking.
"Remember, you're unique, just like everybody else."-Joel Bernardini

Postby colokeith » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:49 am

I use a tight Cap base layer, well fitted insulation layer, and a looser shell or jacket. Works well for me.

I agree with previous poster, that one of the main things I want from a base layer is moisture wicking, this is done best with direct skin contact of a tighter layer
To climb is to push yourself in a way you might not normally imagine is possible. If your stamina, skill, and luck are sound you will get to stand on top. ... I realized that with climbing, I'd found something that nourished my soul and could forge me into a better version myself - Jim Davidson

Postby davebks » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:53 am

Stupid sexy flanders! its like hes wearing nothing at all, nothing at all, nothing at all....
awesome! There's also nothing funny about vapor lock.

Anyway, seems like most like it tighter. Good stuff. Thanks for sharing.

Postby MonGoose » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:20 pm

I tend to wear a pair of workout pants under my ski pants in the winter. It's enough to keep me warm but loose enough so I don't sweat.

Postby VagabondSurveyor » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:31 pm

Definitely tight.

Postby kansas » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:44 pm

Tight, especially if I'm wearing a harness.

Always always merino head to toe, your tent mates will appreciate it.
"In the end, of course, it changed almost nothing. But I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams."
— Jon Krakauer

Postby jswiftcervelo » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:17 pm

I'm a cyclist - what do you think ? :?:

Love the under armour Cold Gear and a nice long sleeve bike jersey makes life perfect :)
Winter only :) Cycling only March-late October... Mountaineering = awesome cross-training

Postby davebks » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:24 pm

went w the patagonia cap 4 long underwear. seemed a bit more breathable for what I will be doing with it then the merino. they changed up their lines a bit so the 4 isnt the same as it used to be. nice stuff. i dont really like cap that much but for pants its not a big deal. well see how tomorrow goes, heading up to Lincoln.

Next