Super cool gigapixle (Everest)

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
lordhelmut
14ers: 50  21  5 
13ers: 300 60 1
Trip Reports (73)

Re: Super cool gigapixle

Post by lordhelmut »

That basecamp is a ZOO!
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Jim Davies wrote:Wow. You can even see little climbers and tents on the Lhotse face.
Amazing how fragile that "camp" area looks
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
Gareth
14ers: 25 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Gareth »

I had no idea that Base Camp had such a problem with urban sprawl! :o
"Most people never run far enough on their first wind to find out they've got a second."
- William James
lordhelmut
14ers: 50  21  5 
13ers: 300 60 1
Trip Reports (73)

Post by lordhelmut »

What costs more, a permit to climb that peak or the camera used to take this picture? I'll take the camera, that vantage point and a 6 of Modus over the climb.........
Presto
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 308 21
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Presto »

by lordhelmut » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:23 pm
I'll take the camera, that vantage point and a 6 of Modus over the climb.........
... and a can of pringles. :cartman: 8) :wink:
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM
Gareth
14ers: 25 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Gareth »

It's like a "Where's Waldo" checklist of things to spot....

-Camp 3
-Prayer flags in the icefall
-etc
"Most people never run far enough on their first wind to find out they've got a second."
- William James
jbchalk
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (54)

Post by jbchalk »

lordhelmut wrote:That basecamp is a ZOO!
Brian,

EBC is a Melrose Place, dude. Good times for a single dude. Even more so for a single lady.
MUni Rider
14ers: 51 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (20)

Post by MUni Rider »

Carl wrote:Wow! Thanks for sharing. Anyone know what camp or village the stone buildings with the blue roofs are? Visible in the center bottom of the screen if you pan all the way right and zoom in.
I can see my hotel room! LOL. The Buildings are the "town" of Gorak Shep. If you pan further right, up the ridge you can see all the prayer flags on Kala Patthar, (Black Rock), as well as a few climbers. It's a popular view point for pics of Everest and surrounding area.

Thanks for the link! Too cool. I will have to forward it too the rest of the people from my trek.
"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat." (Theodore Roosevelt)

"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit." (Edward Abbey)
mountaingoat-G
14ers: 23  5  1 
13ers: 21 6 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by mountaingoat-G »

You could spend an hour or more looking at this pic zoomed all the way in...
MUni Rider
14ers: 51 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (20)

Post by MUni Rider »

mountaingoat-G wrote:You could spend an hour or more looking at this pic zoomed all the way in...
But wait, it gets better! You can spend ANOTHER hour looking at the pic overlooking Gokyo Ri! :-)
"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat." (Theodore Roosevelt)

"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit." (Edward Abbey)
jdorje
14ers: 12 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (16)

Post by jdorje »

How does one make an image like that? Is it the result of hardware that takes images with 100x the resolution of a typical camera? Or stitching together or many zoomed-in images?
"I don't think about the past, and the future is a mystery. Only the present matters."
planet54
14ers: 58 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (0)

Post by planet54 »

I like it!! Being more of a K2 guy,I just spent the last hour checking out the Baltoro. Click on THE GLACIERS at the top of the page. There are several to choose from. Thanks for the link :-D
I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H D Thoreau