Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Maurice Herzog Dies

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Maurice Herzog Dies

Postby osprey » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:06 am

There is a controversy if Herzog and his team made the summit of Annapurna.

Postby I Man » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:19 am

osprey wrote:There is a controversy if Herzog and his team made the summit of Annapurna.

oh? :?:
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

"I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.

Postby TallGrass » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:43 am

osprey wrote:There is a controversy if Herzog and his team made the summit of Annapurna.

"This year has seen the publication of "Un Heros (A Hero)" by Herzog's daughter, Felicite, ... It also suggests Herzog and Lachenal may never have actually got to the top of Annapurna -- a theory regarded as credible by some experts in light of their failure to leave a cairn at the summit and the inconclusive nature of the photographs they took." -- AFP

"The pair [Lachenal and Herzog] duly marched on, ... [Herzog] pulled out the 'sweat-soaked' tricolor and posed for the photograph that would guarantee his fame – a photo that would later be credited to Herzog, as if he had reached the summit and set up the camera alone. ... Having forced the others to sign contracts that forbade them from writing about the expedition, Herzog ensured that his version of events, and his heroism, dominated the public imagination. His account notably downplayed the contribution of his team-mates, who undoubtedly had saved his life. Herzog also glossed over their disagreements, portraying the expedition as an exemplar of patriotic and unified French resolve." -- The Telegraph
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

Postby osprey » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:07 pm

The reference for my statement is the article by David Roberts in the December 1997 issue of Climbing Magazine.
The final paragraph of his article:
"But the controversy in no way dims my admiration for the Annapurna climbers - in particular, for Rebuffat, Lachenal, and Terray. Tempted by fame and glory on a scale no French mountaineers had ever attained, they turned their backs and plunged once more into grand alpinisme. On Annupurna, for them, in the end, it was the climb that mattered."

And now, for Herzog, perhaps it was the climb that mattered.

Previous