Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Anyone in Chile?

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Anyone in Chile?

Postby Neuder » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:01 am

Hello 14ers.com,
I just finished my study abroad program in Chile and am looking to get some climbing in before I leave the 11th of January. I am intersted in rock climbing or mountaineering just want to get out some. If you are going to be near Santiago, or know someone who lives here I would love to hear from you.
Best regards,
Michael

Re: Anyone in Chile?

Postby nyker » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:51 am

Wow, good for you!

Check out Atacama up North, or of course Patagonia and see if you can see Easter Island while there!

Re: Anyone in Chile?

Postby Bullwinkle » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:06 pm

We used to live near Santiago (Las Condes). This is part of a post of mine from some years ago.

For a somewhat tamer and shorter journey one could take on Cerro Bismarck at 4,735m and/or Cerro del Plomo at 5,424m (the closest 5,000m peak to Santiago). Starting point is easily accessible from the ski station at La Parva, above Farellones and El Colorado. You'll need to stay over a day or two at altitude, at one of the ski stations, because Santiago is at only 600m. With a good pair of binoculars we could see the ski station at La Parva from our house in Las Condes, on the foothills side of town.

Cerro La Paloma at 4,900m and El Altar at 5,222m (plan a combo) are close access from the mining district of La Disputada not far from Santiago.

The massive volcano Tupungato rises 6,565 straight east of Santiago. It is a remote 2-weeker, but many find it a desirable ascent.
As a mountain more fully reveals itself to a man, so the true nature of the man will be more fully revealed