Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Most useful webapp, ever!

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Most useful webapp, ever!

Postby Dave B » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:05 pm

With Hillmap you can get point estimates of slope angle and elevation as well as create paths that generate off trail mileage, elevation gain/loss and average slope angle. The linked version is in Beta testing and was just released a week ago.

This is literally the most useful thing I have ever found on the internets.

Incredibly useful for planning winter/spring time backcountry excursions around avy prone slopes and areas as well as general trip planning and wasting countless hours at work (it was noon when I started playing with it). It's like topo software you'd have to pay for, but better.

Enjoy.
"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

Re: Most useful webapp, ever!

Postby geojed » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:15 pm

Caltopo.com has a map based shading of slope angle too. Here's an example near Harvard & Columbia.

http://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=38.91534,-106.30411&z=15&b=t&n=0.25&o=r&a=slp_s-11111111
Attachments
12-12-2012 4-13-02 PM.jpg
12-12-2012 4-13-02 PM.jpg (301.96 KiB) Viewed 1027 times
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
• The best climber in the world is the one who’s having the most fun.— Alex Lowe
• Why do I climb the mountain? Because I'm in love! — The Captain

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:56 pm

I use the Caltopo one frequently and think it's very helpful. The Hillmap tool is quite useful but trying to get exact slope angle with a tool like this isn't very accurate, especially on small steep areas.

Maps!
Only SNOW will end the madness

Postby Dave B » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:08 pm

BillMiddlebrook wrote:I use the Caltopo one frequently and think it's very helpful. The Hillmap tool is quite useful but trying to get exact slope angle with a tool like this isn't very accurate, especially on small steep areas.

Maps!

Agreed, actually. I'd never used or heard of Caltopo before. My whole world is changing today!
"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

Postby Bean » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:51 pm

Is there a way to adjust the slope angle shading limits? There's a hudge difference between 28 and 34 degrees.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby geojed » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:55 pm

Idk. You'd have to ask the caltopo webmaster.
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
• The best climber in the world is the one who’s having the most fun.— Alex Lowe
• Why do I climb the mountain? Because I'm in love! — The Captain

Postby dsunwall » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:11 pm

Bean wrote:Is there a way to adjust the slope angle shading limits? There's a hudge difference between 28 and 34 degrees.

my math says there is a bigger difference between 35 and 45 degrees. :roll: small joke. but, why do you say that?

Someone mentioned Caltopo to me a few months ago, the slope angle deal seems useful. The snow layers in Hillmap I've always viewed at NOAA, or downloaded the data as a KMZ and viewed in Google earth. You can get creative with the different layers, snow melt, snow density, etc. and come up with some real psychedelic master pieces. http://www.nohrsc.noaa.gov/earth/

sangre snow 12-12-12.jpg
sangre snow 12-12-12.jpg (73.65 KiB) Viewed 784 times

Postby ChrisRoberts » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:23 pm

This is awesome, saves me a ton of time with the split map feature!
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
Read all about my schemes and adventuring at NoCo Chris Latest TR: Ramsay, Sugarloaf and Skull

Postby Bean » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:17 am

dsunwall wrote:
Bean wrote:Is there a way to adjust the slope angle shading limits? There's a hudge difference between 28 and 34 degrees.

my math says there is a bigger difference between 35 and 45 degrees. :roll: small joke. but, why do you say that?

Avalanche concerns. 35 is more dangerous than 45, but that difference isn't likely to change my plans. 28 and 34 is a world apart.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:05 am

I've added links to both sites on the 14ers Map

And for some reason I did not have MyTopo included as a map type on that page, so I added it to the map drop-down selection.
Only SNOW will end the madness

Postby jeremy27 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:32 am

Very helpful stuff. Thanks for the headsup.

Postby iceman » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:49 pm

Awesome. Thanks for the link.

Next