Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Best place to buy wool T-shirts

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Best place to buy wool T-shirts

Postby MyFeetHurt » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:55 am

I'm getting ready for some long trips where doing laundary is a PITA. So, I've decided I'm done witht the crappy smelly capilene style T-shirts that stink after half a day, and I need to replace them with a couple of everyday style merino wool T-shirts so they wont stink so fast. Who makes some that are not all body fit performance style. Stoic has some deals but they are all too close fit (though great for on the mountain!). Any places in Denver that has a decent selection? Do normal wool tshirts exist or do I need to resort to the spandex look?
Thanks!

Re: Best place to buy wool T-shirts

Postby Jay521 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:11 am

I have been a fan of wool for years. Still wear wool pants/shirts/etc. Here is a link for a t-shirt you might like. Not cheap, tho...
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Filson17 ... l+Products
Edit: Sorry - link is too long to work. Go to Cabelas.com and search for wool t-shirt. Or let me know and I will email you the link.
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down

Postby B[3] » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:16 am

I love my Icebreaker merino wool T-shirt--it was great on our long backpacking trip last summer (fits well, dries quickly when washed and doesn't hold odor like synthetic fabrics). I bought mine at Neptune Mountaineering in Boulder.
Learn from the mistakes of others--you can never live long enough to make them all yourself.--Unknown
Don't chase your dreams, catch them.--Unknown

Postby pvnisher » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:30 am

Postby jblyth » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:33 am

Try Woolworths....j/k

Icebreaker makes some great gear, put you will pay through the nose for it. Check out steepandcheap.com (from the link of this site so Bill gets paid!), their stuff always shows up on there for a significant discount.

Smartwool makes great products too.

Postby osprey » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:13 pm

Filson also makes really nice wool t-shirts.
They are sized a little larger than Icebreaker and Ibex.

Postby osprey » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:15 pm

Just noticed Jay also recommended Filson.

Postby bergsteigen » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:17 pm

I've been wearing a lot of Stoic Merino wool baselayers of late. Comes up on SAC frequently, or just go to backcountry.com

http://www.backcountry.com/stoic-mens-underwear-baselayers
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games."
- Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)

http://otinasadventures.com

Postby Hornet22 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:20 pm

GoLite has some wool shirts that aren't form-fitting. Plus you can try them out in the stores around here.
http://www.golite.com/Search.aspx?k=wool

Postby metalmountain » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:28 pm

osprey wrote:Filson also makes really nice wool t-shirts.
They are sized a little larger than Icebreaker and Ibex.

Icebreaker is awesome, although expensive. REI carries them now so you can try them on there and then keep an eye out on steep and cheap. There stuff does pop up pretty often on there.
"The greatest battle is not physical but psychological. The demons telling us to give up when we push ourselves to the limit can never be silenced for good. They must always be answered by the quiet, steady dignity that simply refuses to give in. Courage. We all suffer. Keep going." - Graeme Fife

"I found that nothing truly matters, that you cannot find for free." - The Gaslight Anthem

Postby davebks » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:05 pm

i like the patagonia wool long sleeves, but i have a smartwool merino t shirt that i got at rei. SOSOSOSO much better then caplilene. Never again.
only caveat, they arent that durable so if you go into slot canyons or something and rub them, they tend to rip a bit.

Postby dfrizzle » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:09 pm

bergsteigen wrote:I've been wearing a lot of Stoic Merino wool baselayers of late. Comes up on SAC frequently, or just go to backcountry.com

http://www.backcountry.com/stoic-mens-underwear-baselayers

+1 i love my stoic merino long sleeve shirts. the short sleeve ones don't fit as well as my icebreaker one but man, stoic has it dialed in i think. and like the man says, SAC has them and backcountry currently has 40% off stoic gear...shouldn't pass this up.
One foot in and one foot back, but it don't pay to live like that.
So I cut the ties and I jumped the tracks, for never to return.

Next