Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Difficult Situation With a Newbie

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Difficult Situation With a Newbie

Postby Presto » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:27 pm

by Matt » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:01 pm

Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded.

And that, my friend, is what is frickin' happening when I let certain people know about my favorite microbrew haunts! :twisted: 8) :-$ :wink: Just kidding. :iluvu:
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM

Postby Jim Davies » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:14 pm

Yogi has a lot to say about winter hiking, such as:
You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there.
It gets late early out there.
You can observe a lot by just watching.
If you don't set goals, you can't regret not reaching them.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Postby highpilgrim » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:20 pm

Ok, if we're talking Yogisms, here's one I like:

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else.
Yogi Berra
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Postby Presto » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:27 pm

And, the Yogi'isms are endless:

"You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I'm not hungry enough to eat six."

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

"You should always go to other people's funerals; otherwise, they won't come to yours."

"You give 100 percent in the first half of the game, and if that isn't enough in the second half you give what's left."

AND, YES, I CONFESS TO TOTALLY DE-RAILING THIS THREAD. [-X 8-[ :P
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM

Postby Jim Davies » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:02 pm

Presto wrote:AND, YES, I CONFESS TO TOTALLY DE-RAILING THIS THREAD. [-X 8-[ :P

Since it started with a guy wanting to winter-solo the Coors can as his first 14er, I don't think you've done much harm. :)

I'm curious if the OP has gotten any response from his buddy about this.

Postby plantmandan » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Presto wrote:And, the Yogi'isms are endless:

"You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I'm not hungry enough to eat six."

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

"You should always go to other people's funerals; otherwise, they won't come to yours."

"You give 100 percent in the first half of the game, and if that isn't enough in the second half you give what's left."

AND, YES, I CONFESS TO TOTALLY DE-RAILING THIS THREAD. [-X 8-[ :P

"It ain't over till it's over."

Perfect for mountaineering.

Postby Presto » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:25 pm

by 49ersRule » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:53 pm

My favorite Yogi Berra quote by far is: "When you reach a fork in the road, take it".

Sorry about that Mr. 49ersRule ... I missed you stating this and duplicated it. :oops:

Reminiscing about Yogi makes me think of Harry Caray. Listened to him and Steve Stone do many a Chicago Cub baseball game on WGN back in the day. He was an interesting and funny broadcaster (commenting on how if you spelled a particular persons name backwards, it was blah blah blah), etc.

I recall one game I watched, in particular, that I will share with you:

Harry and Steve are doing the game. The cameraman keeps showing this couple out in the bleachers. And, each time the cameraman shows the couple, they are kissing.

This goes on for several innings. Harry and Steve continue to call the game.

Suddenly, after one of the kissing couple shots, Harry says (and in true Harry fashion) ...

"You know, Steve. I think I've figured out what's going on here with this couple."

"He's kissing her on the strikes."

"And, she's kissing him on the balls."

:shock: 8-[

There was dead silence for at least a minute (which can be a long time when you're live on the air). Finally, Steve gathered his wits about him and continued on with the game.

Classic Harry Caray. :-"

Postby YooperJonKornely » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:22 pm

Derailed thread... a Harry Caray quote....... well I guess I'll have to add in a quote from my favorite guy ever!

"I signed with the Milwaukee Braves for three-thousand dollars. That bothered my dad at the time because he didn't have that kind of dough. But he eventually scraped it up."
Bob Uecker

:lol:

Postby JDip » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:13 pm

Presto wrote:
by JDip » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:10 am

TallGrass wrote:
What do they say? Half the fun is planning, half is doing, and half is reliving it with tall tales afterward? :wink:

..Wait I suck at math, but don't three halfs make 1.5?...

Or as Yogi Berra would say, "Ninety percent of this post is half mental." \:D/ :wft:

:lol:
I want to know the thoughts of God. All the rest are details. -Albert Einstein

It's not the height of the mountain that makes it great, it is the mountain itself. -J.D.

Postby Jim Davies » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:29 pm

"There are only two seasons--winter and baseball." -- Bill Veeck

Postby Wish I lived in CO » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:20 am

Jim Davies wrote:"There are only two seasons--winter and baseball." -- Bill Veeck

I always thought that the two seasons were winter and road construction.
I look up to the mountains - does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth! Psalm 121:1-2

Postby pvnisher » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:34 am

So did the wanksta actually go out? What happened?
It's like the fella who was going to rap the Diamond, or the guy who's going to thru-hike the 14ers, or all these other grand plans.
We get all fired up and then never hear from the poster about the end result.
The Interwebz are such a tease.

PreviousNext