Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Winter Hydration

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: Winter Hydration

Postby Oman » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:23 pm

I like to ski / winter hike with a thermos of hot chocolate, mate', or tomato soup. Hot liquids on a cold day -- mmm.

For long days out, I've had good luck with this thermos.
http://www.rei.com/product/811181/rei-bullet-vacuum-bottle-1-liter
A half-liter thermos is better for short (<4 hours) days.

Postby BobbyFinn » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:36 pm

dswink wrote:I have hiked several times with folks who insisted on using a bladder in temps below the 20s. Neoprene over hoses, hoses run through the pack strap, mouthpiece tucked into their jacket, blah, blah. The setup freezes everytime, they dehydrate, try to drink straight from the bladder and spill water on themselves instead, it's boring.

That was me for a season or two. I was stubborn. I got dehydrated a lot.

dswink wrote:IMHO, bladders are just not worth the effort/risk below 20 degrees. Bottles in pack side pockets are almost as bad. I have not experienced more than marginal freezing in bottles stored inside my pack, and turning them upside down makes even that minor freezing unimportant.

I use 2, sometimes 3, liter-size Vitamin Water bottles for winter/cold hikes. Usually they are full of water plus one of those electrolyte tablets. They are narrower than nalgene or gatorade bottles so they fit into my insulated bottle holders easily. I once watched a buddy's nalgene bounce down a couloir after he thought he got it into his insulated holder...

Only once has one of my bottles iced up a bit, but it didn't freeze all the way. That was after about 8 hours of low 20 degree temps, and the water started out cold. I hang one on my chest strap for easy access and I put one in my pack.

It works for me.
"Mind what you have learned. Save you it can." - Yoda
"Rudeness is a weak person's imitation of strength." - Paul Arel

Postby jsdratm » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:23 am

Last year I used my camelbak and had to drink every so often or it would freeze up. For this year I got one of these:

http://www.rei.com/product/402058/nalgene-space-saver-bottle-64-fl-oz

The only trouble is that it can be a bit of a pain to get it out of the pack if it is really cold and windy.

Postby winmag4582001 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:14 am

Usally pack 32oz. water, 32oz. sports drink and a 20oz. thermos of hot tea. Last few outings I've returned with just the sports drink left. I drink about 1/3 of the liquid in winter compared to summer.
"Remember, you're unique, just like everybody else."-Joel Bernardini

Postby susanjoypaul » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:38 am

I boil three liters of water while I'm making breakfast before the hike. Two go into Nalgene bottles, along with packets of powdered G-2, and the third one goes in a thermos with powdered hot chocolate.

I use an insulated parka to store my first Nalgene, and attach it onto my pack. If you're worried about it freezing over on the narrow opening, store it upside-down. If you're worried about dropping it out of the parka, or the parka falling off your pack (and potentially sliding away), use a small piece of cordelette and prusik the bottle to the parka, and the parka to your pack.

I drink one bottle on the way up, and the hot chocolate on the summit, and I always swap out my G-2 water on the summit so I have a full one for the way down, because I am not likely to stop.

I also bring two cold bottles of G-2 (raspberry lemonade is pretty good) and a chocolate protein shake in the car, stored in a cooler, and drink one G-2 on the drive in, the protein shake after the hike, and the last G-2 on the drive home.

I like to have systems and routines in place for those things that are most important, and hydration is pretty important. That way, no matter how distracted or tired I am, I'm not likely to screw it up.

Postby Dex » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:19 am

I wonder if the backpack makes a difference in the freezing equation. I use a Camelbak Alpine Explorer - an older model 2005 or so.
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby kansas » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:39 am

I got tired of dicking with the camelback thing a long time ago.

1) Drink 1 liter of water before starting.

2) Carry 20oz Vitamin Water bottle filled with water (inside of coat or pack). Normally I will only drink half of this at most.

3) Thermos for something hot.
"In the end, of course, it changed almost nothing. But I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams."
— Jon Krakauer

Postby MountainHiker » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:06 am

My water bottles usually ride in my pack side pockets. That’s not as good as inside the pack. I help them out by having them upside down and have a hand warmer under each one against the lid. It’s common for ice to coat the insides while still being able to open and drink from the bottles. I have put the bottles inside the pack with a body warmer when on colder outings.

MountainHikerette insists on using a bladder so she made a harness inside her jacket with her. She still battles the tube freeze issue, so will go to bottles inside her jacket.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

Postby Mindy » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:45 pm

susanjoypaul wrote:

packets of powdered G-2,

two cold bottles of G-2 (raspberry lemonade is pretty good)

Susan what is G-2?

Postby I Man » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:52 pm

Mindy wrote:
susanjoypaul wrote:

packets of powdered G-2,

two cold bottles of G-2 (raspberry lemonade is pretty good)

Susan what is G-2?

G2 = Gatorade.

Someone needs to get Gatorade to sponsor an expedition to G2!
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

"I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.

PreviousNext