Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Old South Elbert Approach

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Old South Elbert Approach

Postby schrund » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:36 pm

Does anyone remember the old South Elbert approach, before the "new" South Elbert TH was built? Is that old "confusing set of roads" closed? I know there is a gate across the road, but is foot travel up the "old" approach frowned on?
We did not think of the great open plains, the beautiful rolling hills, and winding streams... as "wild". Only to the white man was nature a "wilderness".
-Luther Standing Bear, Oglala Chief

Re: Old South Elbert Approach

Postby Fisching » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:08 pm

Are you referring to the Black Cloud TH? If so, that's still accessible and offers direct access to South Elbert.
Peter Aitchison on the risks of rock climbing and mountaineering: "That's life, isn't it? We think the challenge and satisfaction you get from doing this is worth the risks."

"Respect the mountain. Train hard. Hope you can sneak up when it isn't looking."

"The mind is always worried about consequences, but the heart knows no fear. The heart just does what it wants."

Postby schrund » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:38 pm

In the '96' Roche Guide it was called the Twin Lakes TH~
We did not think of the great open plains, the beautiful rolling hills, and winding streams... as "wild". Only to the white man was nature a "wilderness".

Postby boudreaux » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:45 am

Are you talking about that old road that goes up to the Little Joe Mine on Parry Peak from the town of Twin Lakes? If you go on LOJ, you can see an old trail (1482) that goes from the road just west of the town of Twin Lakes near a BM at 9212. It connects to the road to the mine and the new South Elbert Trail further north. I would bet it's still there, albeit hard to see, but still there! It's near the last pullout on the northside, about a mile west of town, but it looks like it cuts through private land, and a large mining claim! How hard would it be to cut through the forest to access this road from the hwy 82?
Ragin Cajun

Postby Jay521 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:06 am

boudreaux wrote:Are you talking about that old road that goes up to the Little Joe Mine on Parry Peak from the town of Twin Lakes? If you go on LOJ, you can see an old trail (1482) that goes from the road just west of the town of Twin Lakes near a BM at 9212. It connects to the road to the mine and the new South Elbert Trail further north. I would bet it's still there, albeit hard to see, but still there! It's near the last pullout on the northside, about a mile west of town, but it looks like it cuts through private land, and a large mining claim! How hard would it be to cut through the forest to access this road from the hwy 82?

I'm pretty sure that was the access point I used about 20 years ago. But when I was heading up Independence Pass a few months back, I kept an eye out and could not spot where I pulled off. I seem to remember it was a pulloff that went up and to the right off the main road... I will see if I can dig up some old pics. Assuming I took any...
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down

Postby FCSquid » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:24 am

Fisching wrote:Are you referring to the Black Cloud TH? If so, that's still accessible and offers direct access to South Elbert.

I thought this was a fantastic trail, really well-maintained below treeline - but the trailhead was hard to find. The pull-off is just before the Mt. Elbert Lodge. If you pass those red roofs (going west), you've gone too far.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin

Postby boudreaux » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:10 pm

Jay, my 1st attempt at Elbert was just up the road before you round the bend at the creek, I went up the southeast side of Parry to Little Elbert, just up from La. I don't ever remember a trail being there, or I would have probably taken it, I had a mountain guide that day showing me where to go, but he never mentioned that trail.

Black Cloud is a nice trail, came down it once, maybe someday I will visit the lodge.
Ragin Cajun

Postby schrund » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:34 pm

Thanks! None of these trails are actually what I was referring to. But maybe the "old" way can now be my "little secret" :-)

Postby boudreaux » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:48 am

You've really piqued my curiosity, just what trail are you referring to?
Ragin Cajun