Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

12/9 hiking??

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

12/9 hiking??

Postby kumo1341 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:20 pm

anyone heading up tomorrow? Not sure if it is a good idea, but want to get up Bierstadt, anyone interested?

Re: 12/9 hiking??

Postby pseudoghost » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:25 pm

I wouldn't even bother going up. You're going to be fighting what looks like a near-blizzard in the early morning. Might not even be able to make it far enough up the pass to make an attempt.

Postby jswiftcervelo » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:04 pm

Did you end up going?

If not what are you doing tomorrow - I really don't care if its a blizzard... I'm prepared
Winter only :) Cycling only March-late October... Mountaineering = awesome cross-training

Postby moon stalker » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:35 pm

pseudoghost wrote:I wouldn't even bother going up. You're going to be fighting what looks like a near-blizzard in the early morning. Might not even be able to make it far enough up the pass to make an attempt.

Sometimes it pays not to listen to the weatherman. The wind never got above 10 mph, and it was infrequent at best, really not a problem. It fluried on and off, but overall, not much snow. There was plenty of blue skies immediately above Bierstadt and surrounding peaks, although I could see other areas weren't so lucky. It was -10 when I topped out though, so it was a cold day, but still certainly a good day.
LIFE is what happens when plans go awry.

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:57 pm

moon stalker wrote:
pseudoghost wrote:I wouldn't even bother going up. You're going to be fighting what looks like a near-blizzard in the early morning. Might not even be able to make it far enough up the pass to make an attempt.

Sometimes it pays not to listen to the weatherman. The wind never got above 10 mph, and it was infrequent at best, really not a problem. It fluried on and off, but overall, not much snow. There was plenty of blue skies immediately above Bierstadt and surrounding peaks, although I could see other areas weren't so lucky. It was -10 when I topped out though, so it was a cold day, but still certainly a good day.

Burr.
That will keep the crowds down. :)
"There's no recess and no rules in the school of life" - D. Mustaine