Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

grrrr... Dynafits

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

grrrr... Dynafits

Postby Dave B » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:02 am

The pow was pretty awesome at Cameron Pass yesterday, so of course my binding broke after the first run.

I could exit the binding and step back in but I could not lock the front pins in to the boot a la tour mode. This made touring through shin to knee deep powder a nightmare as the binding would release every second to third stride.

I ordered two replacement parts from Dynafit and plan to change both and keep the still working one as a backup, but has anyone ever had this part of their binding break? It was pretty cold yesterday (my thermometer read about 3 F) so I'm guessing the plastic was a bit more brittle than normal, but these bindings haven't seen a terrible amount of use and I'm surprised that such a "high use" component would break so readily.

I'm also interested to know what kind of field repair kits you Dynafit skiers carry with you. This is something that hadn't really occurred to me (I carry a leatherman and that's it) until it took me two hours to skin 1.5 miles yesterday with a broken binding.
"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

Re: grrrr... Dynafits

Postby Bean » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:28 am

Haven't seen that before. How'd it happen? Which model? I've wrenched on that piece pretty hard sometimes without any problems.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby Dave B » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:34 am

They're the TLT Vertical ST. The piece broke when I pushed down on it to exit the binding. I've had to punch them pretty hard before as well, especially when locked down for touring.
"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

Postby pioletski » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:40 am

I had a very similar failure a couple of years ago, on Eolus so getting out was a bit of a pain to say the least. The Dynafit people in Boulder gave me parts to fix it, gratis. Since then I have come to prefer the G3 Onyx, though I would still say that the perfect backcountry binding has not yet been built.
The greater danger, for most of us, is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low, and we reach it.
- Michelangelo

Postby Bean » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:59 am

pioletski wrote:I had a very similar failure a couple of years ago, on Eolus so getting out was a bit of a pain to say the least. The Dynafit people in Boulder gave me parts to fix it, gratis. Since then I have come to prefer the G3 Onyx, though I would still say that the perfect backcountry binding has not yet been built.

I hear there are rumors on the internets of a high-"DIN" dynafit coming that actually has elasticity in the toe. Rumored at about $1k.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:14 am

Bean wrote:Rumored at about $1k.

I hope they choke on it
Only SNOW will end the madness