Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Your Winter goals?

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Your Winter goals?

Postby Mountain Ninja » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:15 am

What are your winter goals this year? Any specific routes you're excited about?

IT'S ALMOST HERE, BABY!!
A little pain never hurt anyone.

Fun with karate weapons:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qu4kyfjGBiQ

Re: Your Winter goals?

Postby Dave B » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:07 pm

The only kind of Martha that is capable of eliciting excitement.

Apologies to any Martha's that are non-mixed couloirs.
"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

Postby I Man » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:26 pm

Mountain Ninja wrote:What are your winter goals this year? Any specific routes you're excited about?

IT'S ALMOST HERE, BABY!!

I'd like to join you on San Luis!!

Other than that I am just looking to get out on 14ers and ice as often as possible, to stay safe and make memories with friends. :-D
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

"I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.

Postby GregMiller » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:45 pm

Mid-march summit of Castle with a ski approach (to avenge myself for last March's failure).

If we're counting beyond calendar winter, climbing Snake Couloir on Sneffels, with a ski descent from Lavender Col East then North to Blaine Basin and back out to the Blue Lakes TH. Also want to climb up and ski down the Y Couloir on Pikes as a 2-3 day trip.
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:04 pm

I'd be pretty happy if conditions would allow for a ski (winter or spring) of:
- Blanca Peak
- Little Bear Peak
- Kit Carson Peak
- Crestone Needle
- Culebra Peak
- Mt. of the Holy Cross
Only SNOW will end the madness

Postby ajkagy » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:13 pm

no big ski descents planned yet, but at least 200k vert of skinning and 150 ski days
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:44 pm

ajkagy wrote:no big ski descents planned yet, but at least 200k vert of skinning and 150 ski days

=P~
Only SNOW will end the madness

Postby DaveSwink » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:45 pm

1. Become proficient at cross country skiing. Use Xskis in place of snowshoes for approaches. I have purchased the required gear and a full pass at Eldora. Just need snow....

2. Begin learning to downhill ski.

3. Kick my ice climbing up a level.

4. Climb 3 - 4 winter 14ers, including one or two Class 3 routes. Develop and practice the required skills for easy scrambling when the rock has ice/snow. I am wondering what boots will work well for slabbing, edging, and still keep my feet warm? Are my Sportiva Trangos a good candidate?

5. Run three 10Ks (Dec, Jan, Feb) while emphasizing speed. I acheived my goal of completing several half marathons in 2012, including races with signicant gain (Evans, Fear the Deer, PPA) but I am frustrated by running slow. Instead of working to build more endurance over the winter like many runners, I am running intervals twice a week with high intensity. Hopefully, I will get faster rather than get injured. :shock: I hope to return to halfs in the spring at a much faster pace (maybe 8:30/mi on the flat rather than 10:00?).

Postby EatinHardtack » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:56 pm

Ski as many days as possible. Heading to Utah at the beginning of March for skiing, hut trip in April, and possibly a Jackson Hole trip. Ski descents, well whatever comes in and looks like fun.

Climbing, I'd like to get Pennsylvania and White Ridge this winter if anyone is interested.
"In our youths our hearts were touched with fire" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Postby KentonB » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:51 pm

This is the time of year where I leave the 14ers behind to focus on my list of local peaks! Just finished 3 nice ones this weekend south of Pikes Peak and hoping to head back there in January to do Mt. Big Chief and Rain Benchmark. Basically, anything where I can avoid avalanches and freezing to death. And if I get a particularly warm day, I hope to hone my new rock-climbing skills at Garden of the Gods!

-Kent