easy 14er for visitor on 12/7

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jdorje
14ers: 12 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (16)

Re: easy 14er for visitor on 12/7

Post by jdorje »

Scott P wrote:I don't think that there are any.
Easy 14ers in december? I agree. Even without snow, cold is a formidable obstacle.
"I don't think about the past, and the future is a mystery. Only the present matters."
jswiftcervelo
14ers: 27  2 
13ers: 80 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jswiftcervelo »

You guys still going?

Just make sure you're really prepared and know what you're getting into (look at the wind forecast).

Quoting your original gear list:

"2 layers of wool socks, waterproof hiking shoes, gaiters
thermals, fleece pants, water resistant hiking pants
fleece jacket, wind breaker, snow jacket
balaclava, thermal beanie, 2 gloves
micro spikes, hiking poles"

I have a few problems (and overkill NEVER ends up hurting you in an emergency - I avoided an emergency based on overkill)
I'll stick to a couple things... Carry those little hand warmers (a LOT of them - maybe 12) - they aren't perfect but they will work and you can end up SERIOUSLY needing them.
Second 3 layers is not a lot if things go crazy. 40mph winds at 14k with no real escape is a b***h. I go with a base (i.e. under armour), breathable short sleeve, breathable thick long sleeve, primaloft jacket, soft shell, hard shell. Only used it once and it was worth it.
sheller
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 43
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sheller »

Thanks for all of the advice. We ended up going up Bierstadt. It was pretty windy, but I stayed warm with my 3-4 layers. It probably wasn't the best first 14er for my friend, but he made it to the top and definitely had an experience. I promised him it would be easier in the summer. I was surprised at how quickly it became dark and would not want to be doing a 14er in the winter that required any routefinding.