Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

tents

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: tents

Postby Steve Gio » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:23 am

I have an REI Arete that works great, easy to set up and weighs 5lbs 6oz with poles and steaks. Steaks :-D Good venting and works great in winter and high winds. Use in summers as well since the venting is so good.

Recently looking at this one though. Not sure but I do like First Ascent stuff.
http://www.eddiebauer.com/EB/Bags--Gear/Tents/index.cat?oessoa=6056261&cm_mmc=Google-_-first+ascent-_-first+ascent+tents-_-none&creative=29058894816&adpos=1t1

Postby Kingsley » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:42 am

B[3] wrote:
TheodenKing1 wrote:I too am shopping for a tent for camping in the high country from June-August in CO, and have been recommended the REI Quarter-Dome T2 by multiple personalities in the REI store, yet I don't see it recommended here. Anyone have any bad experience with one up high?

Have you tried to pitch one of these? When we were shopping for a tent last June, we pitched a lot of tents in REI. They suggested this tent and said they would be back to check on us. Well, about a half hour later we finally got the tent up and that's when the REI salesperson showed back up.

Besides the issues with pitching it, the design just didn't seem like it would be as stable as some of the other tents. That being said, I saw at least one party using one of these tents on the Colorado Trail last summer.

I have the Quarter Dome T2 and you are absolutely right the first few times you set it up it can be pretty confusing. However, once you have set it up a few times and don't have to read the instructions each time it is extremely easy. I can actually set it up faster than my friends can set up their tents (Big Agnes, Eureka).

When I bought it I was concerned about how it would hold up in wind (at the time I was living in Texas and the areas I backpacked in were prone to high winds) but after reading the reviews on REI's website it seemed like the best option in my price range. I have been very pleasantly surprised with how well it has held up in wind. On Guadalupe peak it withstood a night of what I would guess were 30-50mph winds with only moderate swaying. I have not used it yet in Colorado but I have been very happy with it so far.

Postby dsunwall » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:18 pm

BD firstlight seems to be highly recommended by Colorado hikers, I've been considering one for a year now, finally pulled the trigger. I found the best price at Amazon today. You might not want to read the one review there. #-o 4 season though, might not be lightest choice for 3 season although it is close enough. I would look at Big Agnes tents as well.

Postby DanR » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:44 pm

TheodenKing1 wrote:I too am shopping for a tent for camping in the high country from June-August in CO, and have been recommended the REI Quarter-Dome T2 by multiple personalities in the REI store, yet I don't see it recommended here. Anyone have any bad experience with one up high?

I do recommend this tent, particularly if you can find it at a garage sale. I've been using one pretty heavily over the last couple years and have been generally very happy with it. It's held up well in conditions ranging from hail and heavy rain to relatively high winds (gusts >50 mph - the poles were flexing a little but it never seemed unstable). It took a little bit of practice, but I do find it to be pretty easy to set up with one person. Of course, it's not like I've owned very many tents so I don't really have a good basis for comparison.

Postby RoanMtnMan » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:52 pm

Personally, I don't recommend REI brand products. I can lay out a laundry list of REI items I have bought in the last 20 years and ended up returning after a few trips. Just a small step up from Walmart in my opinion. For Colorado, I stick with my original post of the single wall BD tents. True, they aren't the best in humid conditions, but this is Colorado and it is very rarely humid. However, even in humid conditions I haven't had much of a condensation issue, it vents well. I have well over 100 days in all conditions on mine and it is still in great shape. I will say that Hilleberg probably make the best 4 season expedition tents period, but you need to shell out a lot more $$$ for those, and they are too heavy and too burly for Colorado, unless you are planning to camp on a summit in a massive storm. Below photos are of our Hilleberg on Denali and our BD Highlight on Rainier (we got wicked weather on both trips). That Hilleberg, my MH Trango 3, and my Sierra Designs Omega probably won't see the light of day in Colorado again unless I lend them to someone. I wish I would have spent less trial and error money over the years.

Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Postby XMULE » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:03 am

I own a Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2 and an REI Quarter Dome 3 (same conceptual design as Quarter Dome 2). Like Kingsley says, first couple of times you pitch a Quarter Dome it can be confusing, but after you get the process hard-wired it's pretty straightforward. Fly Creek UL2 is not totally free standing, but close. I've never tried it w/two people, but it's nice and roomy for one, although ingress/egress is a bit of a pain. On the other hand, it kept me plenty dry in nightly downpours in Canyonlands and it's lighter than air . . . which counts for a lot in my book. And I got it on sale for < $200.
Se esmera, coracao
E confia
Na forca do amanha

Postby TomPierce » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:37 am

Similar to XMule, I have a Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1, the one person version of the UL2. The inner tent is free standing but to get decent rain protection you need to stake the guy lines to keep the fly taut. I prefer a fly and inner tent design, not a fan of condensation, just me. It's really spacious for a one person tent, but I've heard it's tight if you're over 6'. The vestibule is big enough to stow a pack, boots etc. Even with my modifications (better reconfigured guy lines, seam sealing the fly and bath tub floor) it weights 2lbs 2oz. Worth a look.
-Tom

Postby Johnson » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:13 am

I used this for the second season and still really like it: http://www.backcountry.com/big-agnes-copper-spur-ul1-ultralight-tent-1-person-3-season

Seems to me to be a nice compromise on money, room, and weight.
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene

Postby Dukietown » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:37 am

Another vote for the Fly Creek UL2. It's an awesome tent with plenty of room solo and good room for 2 people. It packs super small and comes in at 2lbs 10oz which is as light as a lot of bivvy's but gives a nice double wall tent. When fully staked/guyed out it's pretty bomb proof and has survived some nast wind and downpours. The shape looks like it would take a light to moderate snow load but i've never tried.
"If there is such a thing as spiritual materialism it is displayed in the urge to possess the mountains rather than to unravel and accept their mysteries."

Postby Johnson » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:46 am

Dukietown wrote:Another vote for the Fly Creek UL2. It's an awesome tent with plenty of room solo and good room for 2 people. It packs super small and comes in at 2lbs 10oz which is as light as a lot of bivvy's but gives a nice double wall tent. When fully staked/guyed out it's pretty bomb proof and has survived some nast wind and downpours. The shape looks like it would take a light to moderate snow load but i've never tried.

Direct from BA: https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Tent/FlyCreek2PlatinumSample
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene

Postby lordhelmut » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:09 am

I have an REI Arete that works great, easy to set up and weighs 5lbs 6oz with poles and steaks. Steaks Good venting and works great in winter and high winds. Use in summers as well since the venting is so good.

I know there have been poor reviews on most REI gear, I won't argue its a small step above Walmart (although that's a tad harsh). I've got a REI Arete ASL 3 as well, which is basically a poor man's Sierra Designs Alpha, with slightly less features (its lighter as well). Its a hybrid tent perfect for Colorado.

Those Fly Creek's look pretty awesome for 3-season use. Would make trips to the Weminuche that much better.

Postby dsunwall » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:25 pm

RoanMtnMan wrote: I will say that Hilleberg probably make the best 4 season expedition tents period, but you need to shell out a lot more $$$ for those, and they are too heavy and too burly for Colorado, unless you are planning to camp on a summit in a massive storm. Below photos are of our Hilleberg on Denali and our BD Highlight on Rainier (we got wicked weather on both trips). That Hilleberg, my MH Trango 3, and my Sierra Designs Omega probably won't see the light of day in Colorado again unless I lend them to someone. I wish I would have spent less trial and error money over the years.

That says a lot, statements worth pay paying attention too.

PreviousNext