Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

CO ski mountaineering guidebook

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

CO ski mountaineering guidebook

Postby d_baker » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:37 pm

I was in The Mountain Chalet tonight (which happens to be the best outdoor gear shop in Co Springs, btw), and I saw a new guidebook for the Tenmile Range, written by Killing Cokes (I believe).
I'm not a ski mountaineer, or even much of a skier, but the book looks great! Nice job, man!

Re: CO ski mountaineering guidebook

Postby ap snow » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:09 pm

Yep, great job Killing Cokes. I am really impressed! If anyone in the Boulder area wants a copy I believe Neptunes still has a few available.

Postby RoanMtnMan » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:10 am

d_baker wrote:I was in The Mountain Chalet tonight (which happens to be the best outdoor gear shop in Co Springs, btw), and I saw a new guidebook for the Tenmile Range, written by Killing Cokes (I believe).
I'm not a ski mountaineer, or even much of a skier, but the book looks great! Nice job, man!

I read through it just before it went to print and it did look pretty darn good, but I am still waiting for my free copy to show up since I was a contributor Fritz :wink: ! I do know that he put a phenomenal amount of work into it, and it is a much needed area to be covered.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Postby USAKeller » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:27 am

Sweet job Fritz - I can't wait to check it out!
How long after arriving at someone's house is it appropriate to ask for the WiFi password?

Postby susanjoypaul » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:38 am

I'm not a skier, but congratulations just the same. The amount of time and work that goes into researching and writing a guidebook is hard to describe to anyone who hasn't done it, and bringing one to print is a huge accomplishment.

I applaud you, sir =D>

Postby EatinHardtack » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:08 am

Sweet, I'll have to go check it out. The Tenmile and Mosquito have become my backyard as of late. I plan on skiing the Tenmile Range myself at some point. Congrats Frtiz!
"In our youths our hearts were touched with fire" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Postby killingcokes » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:10 pm

Thank you all for the kind thoughts on my book. I've been skiing the range for 20 years now and working on the book for about the last 7. As the project came to completion it was really cool how my philosophies of life and skiing came together. Hopefully it inspires more people to go out and get some freshies. There's just so much joy in the mountains.

There is a list of local retailers at this link http://www.giterdunpublishing.com/category/retailers/

Or if you don't mind paying shipping you can order the book here and we'll ship it to you. Here's that link http://www.giterdunpublishing.com/makingturns-in-the-tenmile-mosquito-range/

Hope to see ya'll out there in the hills this year. So stoked that winter has finally decided to come to Colorado :-D

Postby George James » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:27 am

This guidebook is THICK. Amazing amount of content crammed into this thing.
Last edited by George James on Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack
~ The Baron Von Bergschrund

Postby nkan02 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:17 am

That's the way to make the Tenmile range exciting. Will definitely check out the book.

Postby lodgling » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:37 am

I definitely echo the comments above. The book looks great, Fritz. A ton of great info.

. . . though I question the inclusion of the "roller ball" photo you used when you could have used one from this sequence . . .

Rollerball.JPG
Rollerball.JPG (126.42 KiB) Viewed 705 times

By the time that roller ball chased Fritz down it was about 8 ft high. :wft: :-D

Postby killingcokes » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:19 pm

lodgling a good lesson in timing right there. That was about as late as you ever want to get on a slope. It was a fun day and thanks for the shout that kept me from getting pummeled. I never got that pic from you. I would have put it in the avy section for sure. Next round I guess.

Here's to winter's arrival just like that.