Humphreys Peak

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jdorje
14ers: 12 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Humphreys Peak

Post by jdorje »

Matt wrote: The view from this summit is one of the finest in the land. Peaks in CO, even ones with more prominence (like Elbert) don't offer the expansive, endless 360 degree views that peaks like Humphreys can.
+1. I've never climbed (hiked) it, but in driving around the southwest you can see it from EVERYWHERE.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_of_t ... ted_States" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

6000' of prominence connects it to its line parent to the eastish, in the San Juans. But it has huge (6000'+) local rise in all directions. Try to pick a clear day.
"I don't think about the past, and the future is a mystery. Only the present matters."
Mark A Steiner
14ers: 3 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mark A Steiner »

jdorje wrote:
Matt wrote: The view from this summit is one of the finest in the land. Peaks in CO, even ones with more prominence (like Elbert) don't offer the expansive, endless 360 degree views that peaks like Humphreys can.
+1. I've never climbed (hiked) it, but in driving around the southwest you can see it from EVERYWHERE.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_of_t ... ted_States" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

6000' of prominence connects it to its line parent to the eastish, in the San Juans. But it has huge (6000'+) local rise in all directions. Try to pick a clear day.
Visibility was a problem the day I hiked it. A recent snowstorm was clearing out, but most of the panorama was obscured by summit clouds, a frequent occurrence on these peaks.

On the other hand as you drive, these peaks are visible from these AZ points: from I-17 south of Cape Verde; from the east on I-40 near Holbrook, and from the north on the Kaibab Plateau north of the North Rim, Grand Canyon. From the west they may be viewed on I-40 between Williams and Ash Fork, but maybe someone else has seen them farther west than this. Also if you come from Four Corners you can see them on US 160 between Cow Springs and Tonalea TP, more than 80 miles distant.
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Like it or not, I am a slow driver. Putt ... putt ... putt ...
Good day.
spiderman
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (1)

Post by spiderman »

The only peak in CO with more prominence is Elbert. Humphreys is ranked 26th on the list of Ultras, compared to 37 and 46 for Pikes and Blanca, respectively. I gotta agree with Matt that the views are spectacular and well worth the hike. You feel that you are standing atop the corpse of a once-mighty monster. It was a half-day hike in the summer, but probably a fun full-day expedition in the winter if the snow is deep.