Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Ho Ho Ho

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Ho Ho Ho

Postby Mindy » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:17 am

Have a few days to play over Christmas, and am considering:

12/26 Hoosier Ridge
12/28 Shav/Tab
12/30 Yale
1/1 EDIT: Ouray!

If anyone is interested in any of these, please let me know. Looking at staying in Salida, and bringing in the New Year there as well.

Cheers!

Mindy
Last edited by Mindy on Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Ho Ho Ho

Postby powhound » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:21 am

Hi. Saw you are planning on Hoosier Ridge (13,352). Just a suggestion for you here. I just did it on Nov.18th, after putting some time into considering different route options. Seems all trail reports go at it from Hoosier Pass...or Boreas Pass, which not really viable in winter due to the Boreas Pass Rd. road closure down low. I took a different approach, via Fredonia Gulch, and was happy with my choice. It's less mileage (8 vs 9). You get to do Red Mtn (another ranked 13er) along the way, and if the weather is too difficult, you can stop at Red and at least get a consolation prize. You don't have the endless, demoralizing false summits that you would coming from Hoosier Pass. You can see most of the route from Breck and from south on Hwy 9, so you should have a real good idea about how much snow is up high. If you pay attention to your map and leave the Fredonia Gulch Rd. at the correct spot (after all the switchbacks it goes due east for a bit - as soon as it angles SE leave the road to avoid much steeper terrain near the Fredonia mine), it is only a short bushwhack to treeline, that turned out to be straightforward and easy as there was no downed timber issues, a lot of clear alleys through the forest, and slope angles that do not exceed the 20s. The best thing, however, is there is far less time above treeline getting blasted from the wind. About the only cons with this route would be, when you calculate going up and over Red twice, it is about 3,700 verts for the day...which is around 700 more than the standard Hoosier Pass way....and if we actually ever get any signicant snow, that would slow down progress on the bushwhack section. Whichever way you decide to go, have fun.

Postby bhess86 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:57 pm

I'm very interested in Shav/Tab on the 28th. If my calendar lines up then I'll message you, I just can't commit right now.
Benedicite montes et colles Domino, laudate et superexaltate eum in saecula.

Postby kumo1341 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:25 am

Would love to do shav/ tab and Yale! But can't commit to it yet. Planning on backpacking grand canyon around those dates. I will let you know!

Postby Mindy » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:55 am

powhound wrote:Hi. Saw you are planning on Hoosier Ridge (13,352). Just a suggestion for you here. I just did it on Nov.18th, after putting some time into considering different route options. Seems all trail reports go at it from Hoosier Pass...or Boreas Pass, which not really viable in winter due to the Boreas Pass Rd. road closure down low. I took a different approach, via Fredonia Gulch, and was happy with my choice. It's less mileage (8 vs 9). You get to do Red Mtn (another ranked 13er) along the way, and if the weather is too difficult, you can stop at Red and at least get a consolation prize. You don't have the endless, demoralizing false summits that you would coming from Hoosier Pass. You can see most of the route from Breck and from south on Hwy 9, so you should have a real good idea about how much snow is up high. If you pay attention to your map and leave the Fredonia Gulch Rd. at the correct spot (after all the switchbacks it goes due east for a bit - as soon as it angles SE leave the road to avoid much steeper terrain near the Fredonia mine), it is only a short bushwhack to treeline, that turned out to be straightforward and easy as there was no downed timber issues, a lot of clear alleys through the forest, and slope angles that do not exceed the 20s. The best thing, however, is there is far less time above treeline getting blasted from the wind. About the only cons with this route would be, when you calculate going up and over Red twice, it is about 3,700 verts for the day...which is around 700 more than the standard Hoosier Pass way....and if we actually ever get any signicant snow, that would slow down progress on the bushwhack section. Whichever way you decide to go, have fun.

powhound thanks for the suggesstion! I will put it out to the group for sure. bhess86 and kumo1341 (is your first name kumo?) please keep me apprised as the date draws near. Take a look at this meetup group, which you are both welcome to join, and can rsvp there: http://www.meetup.com/CO-Scramblers/

Cheers!

Postby Pika » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:40 pm

Hey Mindy,
I could commit to Shav/Tab on 12/28. If you are interested. I dont have those guys on my list yet....

Postby Mindy » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:35 pm

If anyone is interested:

12/26 Hoosier Ridge: Scheduled - sign up here http://www.meetup.com/CO-Scramblers/events/93349982/

12/28 Shav/Tab: Scheduled - sign up here http://www.meetup.com/CO-Scramblers/events/95020852/

12/30 Yale or Sawatch 13er: TBD

1/1 2013 Pawnee Peak, IPW: Scheduled - sign up here http://www.meetup.com/CO-Scramblers/events/95024002/

Cheers.