Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Davenport's Ski the 14ers Movie at Bentgate

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Re: Davenport's Ski the 14ers Movie at Bentgate

Postby USAKeller » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:48 am

Carl wrote:
PaliKona wrote:Chris is such a cool guy - I could listen to his stories for hours.

Couldn't agree more. I barely know the guy, but when I invited him to join some of us for dinner at Woody's before the movie his response was something along the lines of "great, if you don't mind and you have an extra seat." A real stand up guy. Watching his movie again reminds me how slow I ski.

+3. He's really cool - glad to catch the tail end of dinner. And yes, that underground film was sweet - got me super stoked to ski some big peaks!
How long after arriving at someone's house is it appropriate to ask for the WiFi password?

Postby bergsteigen » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:24 am

Carl wrote:
PaliKona wrote:Chris is such a cool guy - I could listen to his stories for hours.

Couldn't agree more. I barely know him, but when I invited him to join some of us for dinner at Woody's before the movie his response was something along the lines of "great, if you don't mind and you have an extra seat." A real stand up guy. Watching his movie again reminds me how slow I ski.

Glad you invited him to dinner! It was great to hear more details on his stories. I think most people ski slower than what he can do, youch!
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games."
- Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)

http://otinasadventures.com

Postby lordhelmut » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:26 am

He still didn't fully reveal the secret to his mysterious weather windows he always seems to obtain.

Postby mtnfiend » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:30 am

yeah, the movie was cool to watch. Although you could definitely tell it was 6 years old.

leggaj5 wrote:It's funny to think how long it takes to descend these mountains in the summer and how he descended N. Maroon in about a minute and a half.

skiing is much much faster than hiking, but even amongst skiers that time is impressive!

lordhelmut wrote:He still didn't fully reveal the secret to his mysterious weather windows he always seems to obtain.

During dinner he mentioned tapping O'l Gratzo for his PNW volcano tour. From what he said they knew the weather would be nice for an extended period, but didn't know the nice weather would last that long.
Didn't I ever tell you.....Bumble's bounce!!!

Postby TeamDino5280 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:59 am

his ability at risk management as well. 54 peaks skied within 365 days and only had the one sketch moment on Little Bear. It just amazes me the mountain sense that people like him and Jeremy Jones have. also loved the M.E.A.T strategy!
"Real adventure is defined best as a journey from which you may not come back alive, and certainly not as the same person."
- Yvon Chouinard
"I try to play by the mountain’s rules instead of mine."
- Lou Dawson

Postby USAKeller » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:14 pm

TeamDino5280 wrote:his ability at risk management as well... also loved the M.E.A.T strategy!

That was good - especially the "Transfer" part!
How long after arriving at someone's house is it appropriate to ask for the WiFi password?

Postby bergsteigen » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:15 pm

USAKeller wrote:
TeamDino5280 wrote:his ability at risk management as well... also loved the M.E.A.T strategy!

Otherwise known as the Avy Poodle!
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games."
- Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)

http://otinasadventures.com

Postby TeamDino5280 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:27 pm

bergsteigen wrote:
USAKeller wrote:

Otherwise known as the Avy Poodle!

Hahaha I wonder if Bent Gate has any in stock :-k
"Real adventure is defined best as a journey from which you may not come back alive, and certainly not as the same person."
- Yvon Chouinard
"I try to play by the mountain’s rules instead of mine."
- Lou Dawson

Postby PaliKona » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:37 pm

I'm curious what his next project is...he said he'd let it be know in January. Maybe ski all 7 summits?

Postby USAKeller » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:20 pm

Avy Poodle = funny!

PaliKona wrote:I'm curious what his next project is...he said he'd let it be know in January. Maybe ski all 7 summits?

Not sure but he did say it was Ted and Christy Mahon so my guess is it's probably local, or at least in the U.S.; not as time-consuming as the 7 summits. I'm anxious to hear what it is too!

Postby lodgling » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:30 pm

I am hoping that his next project is to stop global warming and to permanently affix the jet stream so as to produce decades of 500+ inch seasons across Colorado.

And I am hoping that his next project is as successful as his previous ones.

Postby PaliKona » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:34 pm

USAKeller wrote:Avy Poodle = funny!

PaliKona wrote:I'm curious what his next project is...he said he'd let it be know in January. Maybe ski all 7 summits?

Not sure but he did say it was Ted and Christy Mahon so my guess is it's probably local, or at least in the U.S.; not as time-consuming as the 7 summits. I'm anxious to hear what it is too!

You're right, I forgot he mentioned that. Maybe ski the centennial 13ers? Or BC/Denali?

PreviousNext