Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Front Range Ice Conditions 2012/2013

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Front Range Ice Conditions 2012/2013

Postby Kevo » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:11 pm

Anyone have any updates on Front Range Ice Conditions?

Any guesses as to whether ice will form in Clear Creek Canyon this year?

I'm hoping to get out climbing soon-Let's keep each other informed as to current conditions.

Here's hoping for a good year!

Re: Front Range Ice Conditions 2012/2013

Postby Winter8000m » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:24 pm

Alexanders.... IN
Lamb Slide..... Alpine Ice
Notch....IN
Flying Dutchman....IN
Dreamweaver....probably out
Fields Chimney....Should be in still

Lincoln Falls....IN

Pikes....IN

That's about it right now as far as trade routes. This snow might increase the odds....Note....Alexanders Chimney is super fat
http://www.daring8000dreams.wordpress.com/

Life is too short to waste away

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." (Philippians 4:13)
"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight" (Proverbs 3:5-6)

Postby I Man » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:29 pm

Thinking of heading up to Lincoln Falls on Sunday - weather looks great. Anyone interested?
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

"I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.

Postby Dave B » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:06 pm

I've heard Eli Helmuth isn't going to issue his normal ice reports since everything is getting beat to s**t.

I'm feeling I agree with him on this a bit.

Combined with a lack of Jack Roberts conditions reports a hike might just become the best way to get ice conditions this year.

I can't really see that as a bad thing.

There will of course always be the thread on MP.
"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

Postby I Man » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:24 pm

Just bumping this. A group of us will be warming up for the season at Lincoln falls on Sunday. PM if you are interested in joining....no experience needed, just boots, crampons, harness and a helmet. I should be able to check PM's tomorrow evening. Carpool available from T Rex.

"I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.

Postby JayH » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:06 pm

hey iman, this is jay from the happy hour--definitely want to go climb some ice...looks like this weekend is out, and i'm out of town the weekends before and after thanksgiving, but after i get back i'll hit you up--jay

Postby Upstate Hiker » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:11 pm

I'm very interested in taking on ice this year. Keep me in mind!

Postby JayH » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:15 pm

Iman, rpb13, and anyone else--

So, don't know how things are looking up there for this weekend with the recent warm temps and the forecast snow, but thinking I'm willing to give it a go...

--sunday would be better for us, and I've never been anywhere but Ouray, so I'm open for just about anything--I guess my pref. wuold be for a shorter approach over a longer approach though, just to maximize ice time and not get back home too late.

planning to go to the HH at falling rock tomorrow, so maybe we can discuss there over beers if anyone wants.

--also, cross-posting in the other thread as well, but probably best to keep the discussion in this thread.

Jay

Postby I Man » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:28 pm

JayH wrote:Iman, rpb13, and anyone else--

So, don't know how things are looking up there for this weekend with the recent warm temps and the forecast snow, but thinking I'm willing to give it a go...

--sunday would be better for us, and I've never been anywhere but Ouray, so I'm open for just about anything--I guess my pref. wuold be for a shorter approach over a longer approach though, just to maximize ice time and not get back home too late.

planning to go to the HH at falling rock tomorrow, so maybe we can discuss there over beers if anyone wants.

--also, cross-posting in the other thread as well, but probably best to keep the discussion in this thread.

Jay

The Denver Happy Hour is next Thursday, the 13th.

I am likely going to hike some peaks this weekend, so I am out for ice.

Postby JayH » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:31 pm

d'oh--thanks!

Postby rpb13 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:46 pm

I'd be down to hit Lincoln Falls on Sunday after seeing those recent pictures. I was there on Thanksgiving and there were a lot of lines in. The approach is pretty reasonable: about 20 minutes.

Next