Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Backcountry Shelters

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Backcountry Shelters

Postby tlongpine » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:00 pm

Is there a list of Backcountry huts/shelters that exist within public land in Colorado?

If not - let's start that list here.
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.

Re: Backcountry Shelters

Postby Presto » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:09 pm

The Arestua Hut (maintained by the CMC, but open to the public). You leave from the Eldora Ski area (there's an overnight parking area just before the gated entrance). They don't take reservations ... it's on a first-come first-served basis. Donations are accepted (and suggested). The upper loft sleeps 4. The main floor, with the wood burning stove, sleeps probably 7 if you know each other well. Otherwise, comfortably, it sleeps 4-5. I've seen it so packed that there's people sleeping on the floor. There's a kitchen area. There's an outhouse within a short walk. The woodpile is maintained in the summertime by volunteers. There's some dishes/cookware, but in the past, I have always brought my own. Clean up after yourselves. We have probably spent at least 5 New Year's Eves there, and many more Friday nights there in late January. Friday nights work better because you see less people (Saturday nights can tend to get crowded). We've cross-country skied up there many times, though not in recent years due to crappy conditions. Snowshoed it too. From the ski area, it is an up, then down, then up affair. We've always done a midnight hike to the "top of the hill" to look at the stars and down on the city lights of Boulder. Happy trails! :-D Just a clarification, this ain't the Ritz Carlton or anything as fancy as the 10th mountain system ... it's basic, but sometimes that's all you need.
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM

Postby Scott P » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:15 pm

Many are on the site below:

http://www.huts.org/

I assume you already know of those though?
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Postby peter303 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:16 pm

Westword Magazine had a guide to the "party huts" last year.
http://www.westword.com/2012-03-01/news/mountain-smoke-shacks/
They sounded interesting. But this may not be what you are looking for.

Postby dehrlich101 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:24 pm

The Green Creek Shelter - Located on Segment 15 of the Colorado Trail/CDT

Shelter.jpg
Shelter.jpg (151.5 KiB) Viewed 691 times
I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in - Aldo Leopold

Support Colorado Search and Rescue - CORSAR Card

LOJ

Postby George James » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:27 pm

Stop this right now. Stop it.
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack
~ The Baron Von Bergschrund

Postby ajkagy » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:30 pm

George James wrote:Stop this right now. Stop it.

yea, stop this non-sense, everybody knows the best free backcountry huts are secret and for locals only :)
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby tlongpine » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:43 pm

Scott P wrote:Many are on the site below:

http://www.huts.org/

I assume you already know of those though?

Yeah, looking to flesh out a list of huts like the Deluge Lake Hut, the Notch Mountain Shelter, the Conundrum Shelter (RIP), etc.
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.

Postby Jim Davies » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:49 pm

There's the A-Frame on Barr Trail, Pikes Peak.
Don't worry, George, it's not much of a secret.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Postby RoanMtnMan » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:48 pm

There have been rumors that this one spontaneously appears off the back of a snowmobile in various backcountry skiing locales on public land throughout the state. With 6-10 rowdy skiers occupying it. I can neither confirm nor deny.

Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Postby winmag4582001 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:43 pm

Here's the cabin on James Lake. It may be a little breezy but you could hall in some burlap and cover the holes.
Attachments
IMG_1657 (1024x768).jpg
IMG_1657 (1024x768).jpg (346.22 KiB) Viewed 475 times
"Remember, you're unique, just like everybody else."-Joel Bernardini

Postby rijaca » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:32 pm

There is this cabin off of Marshall Pass...

cabin.small.jpg
cabin.small.jpg (71.2 KiB) Viewed 422 times
"Spent a little time on the mountain
Spent a little time on the hill"

Next