Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Where is the SNOW!!!

Items that do not fit the categories above.
User avatar
Posts: 790
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:07 pm
Location: The High Country

Re: Where is the SNOW!!!

Postby RoanMtnMan » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:11 am

Carl wrote: If you're going for a hike anyway, you might as well not walk back to truck.


Nice pic and glad to see you are getting more practical in your old age bud. The last I checked you weren't skiing peaks with a sled approach. Is this a step to the dark side? :-D
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:48 pm

Re: Where is the SNOW!!!

Postby ballackout » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:26 am

Right on. Thanks for the intel everyone.

User avatar
Posts: 2701
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:22 am
Location: Glenwood Springs, CO

Re: Where is the SNOW!!!

Postby cheeseburglar » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:37 am

I know some people ski early season in Colorado.
But I usually don't. Some years I don't bother skiing until February.
The marmot said “Nobody is perfect and you are not nobody.”

Random FoTH Quotes

User avatar
Posts: 139
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:17 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: Where is the SNOW!!!

Postby Alan Arnette » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:54 am

Longs and Meeker as seen from Meadow Mountain on December 3, 2012

IMG_1800-001.JPG
IMG_1800-001.JPG (283.88 KiB) Viewed 647 times

User avatar
Posts: 756
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:26 pm
Location: Red Lodge, MT

Re: Where is the SNOW!!!

Postby Matt Lemke » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:35 pm

^^^ Holy S**t thats worse then last year!
Lemke Climbs
The Pacific Coast to the Great Plains = My Playground
"Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping"
"When you come to face what you fear, let the creator guide you"

User avatar
Posts: 759
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:17 pm
Location: crested butte

Re: Where is the SNOW!!!

Postby gb » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:52 pm

The guy who keeps records for RMBL in Gothic just outside Crested Butte said it was the driest Sept/Oct/Nov in the 40 or so years he's been keeping records.

If it stays this dry, find a lake and skate on it to get some exercise. Pretty fun, I gotta say.
Image

PS- I skied Jones Pass on thanksgiving and actually thought it was decent.

User avatar
Posts: 2140
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:34 pm
Location: Crested Butte, CO

Re: Where is the SNOW!!!

Postby ajkagy » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:10 pm

gb wrote:If it stays this dry, find a lake and skate on it to get some exercise.


been around blue mesa at all? curious about how thick the ice is right now.
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

User avatar
Posts: 1851
Joined: Sun May 20, 2007 9:30 pm
Location: Golden

Re: Where is the SNOW!!!

Postby Carl » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:27 pm

RoanMtnMan wrote:
Carl wrote: If you're going for a hike anyway, you might as well not walk back to truck.


Nice pic and glad to see you are getting more practical in your old age bud. The last I checked you weren't skiing peaks with a sled approach. Is this a step to the dark side? :-D


There is only one more peak I'm set on skiing without a sled. Mostly because I didn't have a sled for all the other 14ers. After that, I'm implementing a plan to become better friends with everyone I know who owns a sled. Look out for that.

gb wrote:PS- I skied Jones Pass on thanksgiving and actually thought it was decent.


A similar comment by your wife, I think on Facebook, is what prompted me to go check it out again. Thanks. Also, you own a sled right? We should hang out more.

Site Administrator
User avatar
Posts: 6533
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2004 8:34 pm
Location: Breckenridge, CO

Re: Where is the SNOW!!!

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:41 pm

lol
Only SNOW will end the madness

User avatar
Posts: 790
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:07 pm
Location: The High Country

Re: Where is the SNOW!!!

Postby RoanMtnMan » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:49 pm

Carl wrote:
RoanMtnMan wrote:
Carl wrote: If you're going for a hike anyway, you might as well not walk back to truck.


Nice pic and glad to see you are getting more practical in your old age bud. The last I checked you weren't skiing peaks with a sled approach. Is this a step to the dark side? :-D


There is only one more peak I'm set on skiing without a sled. Mostly because I didn't have a sled for all the other 14ers. After that, I'm implementing a plan to become better friends with everyone I know who owns a sled. Look out for that.



Dude, I am going to make a point to show up to your last 14er with my sleds fired up, just to tempt you. Perhaps even ride alongside of you while you skin. Seriously though, I admire what you have done. That is a whole lot of hard work.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

User avatar
Posts: 759
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:17 pm
Location: crested butte

Re: Where is the SNOW!!!

Postby gb » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:38 pm

Carl wrote: Also, you own a sled right? We should hang out more.


Heck yeah. I'll be with roanmtnman, sledding on your final 14er approach :)

ajkagy, I don't know about blue mesa but I don't think people are skating it right now.

User avatar
Posts: 210
Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:00 pm
Location: Jackson, WY

Re: Where is the SNOW!!!

Postby Upstate Hiker » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:15 pm

Its still snowing here \:D/

PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 19 guests