Favorite Beer?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Favorite Beer?

Post by rijaca »

I'm having a Lewis & Clark Brewing Co Tumbleweed IPA : pretty tasty!
Johnson
14ers: 58 
13ers: 42
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Johnson »

I get paid tomorrow. Planning to check some of these out!
Matt
14ers: 58 
13ers: 208
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Matt »

I found this site last night: www.beerjobber.com
Not the best selection or prices (esp for things locally available), but they do seem to be a good potential source for things that aren't available in CO, like the La Cumbre IPA that I keep pimping like Tyler and his Heady Topper :wink: (which I really want to try). The site promises a growing and changing list of beers carried, so it might be worth checking out periodically.

Does anyone know of good stuff available in Indiana not made by Bells, 3Floyds, Founders, or Sun King?
Beer shopping in other states always adds a little extra Christmas cheer.
I may be warping myself here, but anyone who likes stouts and has a chance to try Founders Breakfast Stout needs to do so. It's so good, it's almost better than beer. I had one last week with some cookies. Who needs milk?
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List
SuperiorTrailHiker
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SuperiorTrailHiker »

May have been mentioned, but I picked up a jug of The Meddler from Odell for Thanksgiving, and Oh. My. Goodness.

It's a Flanders sour - I am not much about the sours in general, but even being an Odell fanboy already, this was some way tasty stuff. Like a lot of their limited editions, it's a little too complex to describe accurately, but there's all kinds of action going on in there that combines to make you look at the other person drinking it and go "Man".

And then, Odell Isolation Ale is back out, so that's the go-to for the next couple of months.

And lastly, I scored a bottle of Surly Darkness that I have not tapped yet, but will in the next week. Surly is out of Minneapolis and quickly building a commanding top shelf reputation in a town exploding with craft breweries, and Darkness is a Russian Imperial that's only available for about a day, at the brewery. I've nbever had it, not being willing ot go down and stand in line, but I am eager. I got it from a guy I gave a bottle of Meddler to - he sez, "Goodness sakes, this is good beer . . . here, take my bottle of Darkness."
Prairie Native
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Prairie Native »

So I have to say, my beer taste has changed quite a bit since I first posted this! I really dig pales and IPA's. The less body/malt and the more floral the hop the better. Anyone had summit's saga? Its life changing. I also like Avery's maharaha (no idea if thats spelled correctly), we had it on tap around here for awhile. If im going for a standard 6pack (rarely happens with this mix a 6'er everywhere) I get boulevards single wide IPA or their pale ale. Friends and I also cleared out boulevards local stock of White IPA they had last summer. I was crazy good stuff!
Something witty.
kimo
14ers: 32  6 
13ers: 116 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kimo »

There are some complex flavors in that beautiful can. A beer at the top of my list for this winter. Made with love in Santa Fe. Black IPA.
FireOnTheMountain
14ers: 53  1  23 
13ers: 269 29
Trip Reports (23)

Post by FireOnTheMountain »

kimo wrote:Image

There are some complex flavors in that beautiful can. A beer at the top of my list for this winter. Made with love in Santa Fe: Black IPA.
Damn Kimo. Not sure if you took that pic but that can could be a PBR and it would look awesome. (for the record I love PBR)

I'm enjoying one of these from my recent trip to the Juanies!!

Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the ID...?
cheeseburglar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 79 2 1
Trip Reports (8)

Post by cheeseburglar »

The only beer other than budweiser I'm buying these days is Aspen Brewing Company's this Season's Blonde. Nice lighter beer for those who aren't on the hop train.
http://aspenbrewingcompany.com/this-seasons-blonde/
Available in cans as well!
The marmot said “Nobody is perfect and you are not nobody.”

Random FoTH Quotes
kimo
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kimo »

FireOnTheMountain wrote:I'm enjoying one of these from my recent trip to the Juanies!!

Nice, Abe. That's a good beer. Picked up a 6 in Boulder last week and thoroughly enjoyed it. There are some great beers finding distribution now. I'd start to list them but the list would be long. Elevation IPA made it to near the top of the list. Have enjoyed that on draft quite a few times now.

Another Rye Pale that I enjoyed this past year was Sierra Nevada's Ruthless Rye. The relaxed piney taste really set the hooks in me. I believe it's seasonal, so I'll impatiently await its return next spring. Try it if you see it.

FireOnTheMountain wrote:Damn Kimo. Not sure if you took that pic but that can could be a PBR and it would look awesome. (for the record I love PBR)
You know I've enjoyed every PBR I've ever had. Nothing wrong with it at all. I did take that pic tonight. Someone suggested that I don't overlook studio photography in my future, so after a Renegade Ryeteous (another good Rye Pale being canned as pints) and a Santa Fe Black, I was feeling a bit inspired. I moved some paintings and candles around, dropped a can in between it all, and snapped the pic. Turned out pretty good for what might be my first "studio shot." I blame Anna for the studio inspiration. And the good beer too.

Has anyone seen those 19oz Dales tall boys? Talk about the perfect backpacking beer...one a night for a couple nights could hit the spot...
Last edited by kimo on Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
DanR
14ers: 33 
13ers: 104
Trip Reports (4)

Post by DanR »

kimo wrote:Image

There are some complex flavors in that beautiful can. A beer at the top of my list for this winter. Made with love in Santa Fe. Black IPA.
I feel like a lot of black IPAs shy away from the roastier flavors that typically make beers dark, and I love that Santa Fe Brewing embraces them.

Also, this is the time when my favorite seasonals come out to play. Sierra Nevada's Celebration is an excellent value play, and Maharaja should be out in a week or two.
kimo
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kimo »

DanR wrote:I feel like a lot of black IPAs shy away from the roastier flavors that typically make beers dark, and I love that Santa Fe Brewing embraces them.
At first taste the beer makes a lasting impression. The deep roasted flavors reminded me of their Java Stout, a beer which I did not enjoy. However, this beer turned out to be different. And after half a can I realized those complex flavors weren't a gimmick, and that this beer is the real deal, crafted with honesty and love.

This is a good time to be a beer lover.
altidude
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Post by altidude »

Had my first bottle of Cuvee de Jacobins sour ale a couple weeks ago.

I'm almost through my first sixer.

I am in love.
The mountain always wins, we do not always lose.

Carpe mañana