Humphreys Peak

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Humphreys Peak

Post by nyker »

I am planning on attempting to climb Humphreys Peak in mid/late December:

I was looking for details on route, access, potential avy conditions, etc. There is a good amount of information online which I've found, though not sure how current some of it is.

Which route is preferred: Humphreys Peak Trail (Std), Weatherford Trail, Inner Basin Trail, Dutchman and the West Ridge Route? Any access issues, trail restoration projects, etc?
Seems the standard route is the popular, more traveled approach - assume 9mi roundtrip/+3300ft gain, ballpark?

How is road access in the event of snowfall for any of the above? ...Or road access when dry (dirt road, requiring 4x4 or 2wd/paved?) Are there any gates I need to be aware of that might close once I am parked there?

I heard a permit may be required? (Kachina Peaks Wilderness Access permit)? Is this true?

Thanks for any suggestions!
Mark A Steiner
14ers: 3 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Humphreys Peak

Post by Mark A Steiner »

I hiked nearby Mount Agassiz (12,356') way back in 1986, parked at the Snow Bowl and walked up. There may be other options that may be more challenging. I believe Matt (del Sur) has good info to contribute as he has posted his familiarity with the SF Peaks on previous threads.
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Like it or not, I am a slow driver. Putt ... putt ... putt ...
Good day.
MtHurd
14ers: 57  4 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MtHurd »

Took a zoom of Humphries from Little Lakes Peak a couple of months ago. Mark, Agassiz is almost 14,000 ft.
Humphries.jpg
Humphries.jpg (119.6 KiB) Viewed 3020 times
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

Pretty sure OP is asking about the highpoint of Arizona.

Standard trailhead is near the parking area for the Arizona Snowbowl, so if anything is open in winter, it'll be that.

I did it in October of 2004. Road to the Snowbowl is well-graded, no fees.

I'd say it's harder than Wheeler NV and easier than Wheeler NM. Class 1 in any event.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
RyGuy
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 230 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by RyGuy »

MtHurd wrote:Took a zoom of Humphries from Little Lakes Peak a couple of months ago. Mark, Agassiz is almost 14,000 ft.
Humphries.jpg
nyker is referring to the highpoint of Arizona, Humphrey's Peak. Not the CA peak, "Mount Humphreys".
"Climbing mountains is the only thing I know that combines the best of the physical, spiritual, and emotional world all rolled into one." -Steve Gladbach
Mark A Steiner
14ers: 3 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mark A Steiner »

ACERyGuy007 wrote:
MtHurd wrote:Took a zoom of Humphries from Little Lakes Peak a couple of months ago. Mark, Agassiz is almost 14,000 ft.
Humphries.jpg
nyker is referring to the highpoint of Arizona, Humphrey's Peak. Not the CA peak, "Mount Humphreys".
Still a beautiful picture though. The highest point in AZ is not that spectacular ... but is in its own way.
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Like it or not, I am a slow driver. Putt ... putt ... putt ...
Good day.
MtHurd
14ers: 57  4 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MtHurd »

Ahhhh, sorry! :lol: Here's the California Agassiz I was referring too not too far from the California Humphries.
Agassiz.jpg
Agassiz.jpg (132.86 KiB) Viewed 2976 times
nyker
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Thanks guys.

I heard that climbing Agassiz was not permitted these days? That still the case?
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

nyker wrote:Thanks guys.

I heard that climbing Agassiz was not permitted these days? That still the case?
Haven't heard that, but there are two well-known peaks named Agassiz in California and another in Utah. The other California one is near Tahoe (and I have climbed it).

So that's two Humphreys, two Wheelers and three Agassizes in this thread. When do we get to discuss all the Grizzlies?
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
ebnhils
14ers: 27  1 
13ers: 6 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ebnhils »

The trail head starts at the snowbowl ski area so the road trip is plowed. When I climbed it in December of 07 I parked in the upper lot then crossed the ski run to the start of trail. I followed the standard trail to an area called the flying dutchman which is an old rock slide, I followed that strait up to the ridge and then the ridge to the summit. There is some avy danger on this mountain but you should be able to avoid most of it. When I climbed it in 07 it was one of one of the heavier snow year, the snow was deep in the trees but there was a somewhat packed trail. The only spot that gave me concern was the area between the trees and the ridge, a lot of the snow was blown of and had exposed rocks. Check out http://www.kachinapeaks.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; there may be current snow pack and avy info. There use to be a map of known avy paths and a forum you could get in contact with locals. If you :arrow: need more info I may still have the maps I printed off back then, I could look for then if needed.
ebnhils
14ers: 27  1 
13ers: 6 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ebnhils »

My understanding is that Agassiz is off limit during certain times due to fragile plant life. I think the only time it is permitted to be climbed is when snow covered.
nyker
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Ah. ok...might be in luck then in Dec!