Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Thruhike of the 14ers

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Thruhike of the 14ers

Postby iceman » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:12 pm

Will you be following GPS routes and waypoints throughout the hike? And did I miss dates? When do you plan to start?

Postby jdawud » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:31 pm

I will be using a GPS, but the route may (probably will) change in the field. Start date is as soon as snow allows. If it ever starts. may/june or june/july. I'd like to avoid as much of the noon to 4 thunderstorm cycle that is so common during the height of the summer.
Junaid 'Speshul 41' Dawud
www.14ersthruhike.com

Postby cheeseburglar » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:03 am

This is a great plan.
I only looked at your route through the Elks, which is making me extremely jealous.
That's a lot of route finding to put together, but there are a lot of trails in Colorado.
I assume you'll take the Government Trail from Aspen to Snowmass? That's an easy one, but I bet there are scenic trails to link all these together. Finding them all is a huge task!
The marmot said “Nobody is perfect and you are not nobody.”

Random FoTH Quotes

Postby John Prater » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:05 pm

jdawud wrote:Start date is as soon as snow allows. If it ever starts. may/june or june/july.

Perhaps I missed this, but have you checked with the Cielo Vista Ranch to see if they'll accommodate you prior to their usual late June opening?

Postby jdawud » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:21 pm

John Prater wrote: Perhaps I missed this, but have you checked with the Cielo Vista Ranch to see if they'll accommodate you prior to their usual late June opening?

No, I haven't yet. They are at the top of the list for private property owners I need to contact. If the snow doesn't start soon though, I wouldn't be surprised to see their opening date pushed up. Basically, I'll start ASAP.
www.14ersthruhike.com

Postby bhess86 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:50 am

That seems to be a very logical order of peaks. Will you be posting your predicted climbing dates of each peak as you know them so some of us might join you for pieces of this grand adventure? Good luck!
Benedicite montes et colles Domino, laudate et superexaltate eum in saecula.

Postby jdawud » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:38 am

bhess86 wrote:That seems to be a very logical order of peaks. Will you be posting your predicted climbing dates of each peak as you know them so some of us might join you for pieces of this grand adventure? Good luck!

Once a probable start date is selected, i will have an itinerary. The actual day I climb any given peak however, may change by as much as 3 or 4 days from what that itinerary says at the beginning. I certainly expect to have people join up with me for pieces or peaks. Stay tuned!
www.14ersthruhike.com

Postby peter303 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:59 am

One factor to consider is the lesser used trails have a lot of blockage from fallen trees early season. The snow and wind knock them down, even more so in the northern beetle-kill areas. Chain saw crews go through the more popular trails around June. I've had some miserable hikes late spring.

Postby jdawud » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:38 pm

Hey all, I've posted the first revision of the route to the website. Google the CDT and CT kml files and you can see where the route coincides with them.

Peter, blowdowns are a pain but I've dealt with many many miles of them in the past. I don't think they'll impede decent mileage on most days.
www.14ersthruhike.com

Postby epacalicious » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:32 pm

This is amazing. This trip will be life-changing for you. The stories you'll have will be phenomenal. I want to join you on one or more. Any plans to use a SPOT or something to check in?
Mountains are the means, the man is the end. The goal is not to reach the tops of mountains, but to improve the man ~ Walter Bonatti

Postby jdawud » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:30 pm

Thanks epalicious, I'm certainly looking forward to it. I have a few people who have expressed interest in joining me for a leg or a peak, email me at 14ersthruhike@gmail.com and I'll add you're info to my notes.

I'm looking into the Spot that can pair with a smartphone and also the normal one. We'll see. I definitely want to be able to do at least location check ins on trail.
www.14ersthruhike.com

Postby jdawud » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:44 pm

Happy new year everyone.

I've added a short bio page to the website. On it I also introduce my partner for the expedition.

I'll be doing an update later this evening, but the highlights are basically - my buddy Luke is going to join me, I've completed the first draft of the day by day itinerary, there are a few minor route changes, the private land issue seems to be only potentially problematic in a few places, and there's a really cool swimming hole i found on the route (god bless google earth).

I hope everyone's plans for the year are also coming together....it's a year to make things happen!

www.14ersthruhike.com
www.14ersthruhike.com

PreviousNext