Bel/Ox/Miss Question

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
YooperJonKornely
14ers: 36  2 
Trip Reports (0)

Bel/Ox/Miss Question

Post by YooperJonKornely »

I'm planning on heading up Missouri Gulch very early Saturday and setting up a camp near the old cabin, then hitting up Belford/Oxford and Missouri over Saturday/Sunday. My questions were: 1) Is camping near the cabin a good spot/allowable? 2) Would you recommend hitting Bel/Ox the first day, or vice versa. I would pack up camp and head out after hiking on Sunday. I did not find any trip reports that quite match this... and I'd rather not do all 3 in a day as I prefer to camp. Just looking for some suggestions. Thanks!
USAKeller
14ers: 58  24  24 
13ers: 169 3 7
Trip Reports (46)

Re: Bel/Ox/Miss Question

Post by USAKeller »

Yes, you can camp near the old cabin - there's some good camp spots around there. And, if it were me I'd stick to Belford/Oxford the first day just because I prefer getting more peaks done first.
SolarAlex
14ers: 35  13  5 
13ers: 92 23 5
Trip Reports (21)

Post by SolarAlex »

when i did that combo we passed a CFI team that had a pretty good sized camp set up right by the cabin. seemed like a pretty nice place to camp.
Vincit Qui Patitur
CO Native
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (50)

Post by CO Native »

Camping by the cabin seems like a decent place. However, that is pretty much the last cover before heading above treeline. You will find little deposits from hikers under every rock and next to every log. Plus the access to the creek is very steep right there. It's best go go on a bit further where you can still get cover from the wind by camping in the willows and the stream will be easier to access (though finding an unfrozen section may be hard, so you may be melting snow anyway).

If it were me, I'd hike my camp up to nearly the end of the basin where the Missouri trail leaves the Elkhead Pass trail. Then I'd do Missouri and return to camp there. From camp the next day I'd hit Belford from the Elkhead Pass route, then go over to Oxford, and return to camp via Elkhead (which would skip resummiting Belford).
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com
ameristrat
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (9)

Post by ameristrat »

CO Native wrote:Camping by the cabin seems like a decent place. However, that is pretty much the last cover before heading above treeline. You will find little deposits from hikers under every rock and next to every log. Plus the access to the creek is very steep right there. It's best go go on a bit further where you can still get cover from the wind by camping in the willows and the stream will be easier to access (though finding an unfrozen section may be hard, so you may be melting snow anyway).

If it were me, I'd hike my camp up to nearly the end of the basin where the Missouri trail leaves the Elkhead Pass trail. Then I'd do Missouri and return to camp there. From camp the next day I'd hit Belford from the Elkhead Pass route, then go over to Oxford, and return to camp via Elkhead (which would skip resummiting Belford).
This is definitely the best advice in summer, but I wouldn't be surprised if you got the prime spot right by the cabin (the tree cover / protection is better). I'd be surprised if many people were up there camping, especially with snow expected Saturday night. The point about creek access is a good one.
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal
BenfromtheEast
14ers: 58  10  16 
13ers: 37 8 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BenfromtheEast »

(Edited slightly after reading CO Native's and ameristrat's posts)

I did these three this past Sunday. There's a perfect spot for a tent to the left of the shack as you approach it, and at least one other good spot. When I arrived, at 7pm Saturday, there were two tents set up and I was thankful to just have my bivvy. But I bet the forecast gives you a good shot at having a spot.

I might very respectfully present an opinion in opposition to USAKeller's; doing Missouri first gives you a slightly shorter day after hauling your gear up to camp.

You could also consider camping another mile or so up the Missouri Gulch Trail, near the trail junction for Missouri/Elkhead Pass. Belford is accessible from the Elkhead Pass trail and following the obvious ridge. Not sure this would get you much more than an interesting variation on the route. The wind and snow in the forecast would probably be the biggest factor. As I remember it, the creek was frozen above the "small hill in the basin" from the route description, but had some large open sections where you could filter water from with good access just above treeline. They could very well freeze over this week, but I'd say there's a decent chance they'll still be open.

Feel free to PM me!
YooperJonKornely
14ers: 36  2 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by YooperJonKornely »

Thanks for all the great suggestions and info! I think this will be a great spot to camp for a night and get some great hiking in.
Last edited by YooperJonKornely on Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.